Posted on July 6, 2012
Teva Learning Alliance
Teva Learning Alliance - Educator
Dates: Fall Season: August 30, 2012 to December 11, 2012. In general, a work week is from Sunday 9:00 am to Thursday 6:30 p.m. Please note: these dates are subject to change by no more than a few days in either direction.
Location: Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in Falls Village, CT (Berkshire mountains)
Teva’s Educators are made up of musicians, artists, performers, athletes, scientists, scholars and lovers of life. Some educators hold advanced degrees in education, environmental studies, and social work. All Teva educators are been hired because they have demonstrated strong skills in working with children through prior experience.
Brief Job Description:
- Participate in trainings (1/3 of all work time) and learn Teva’s Curriculum
- Prepare site each week for school groups and create program materials
- Plan and lead limudei chutz (outdoor learning) and work with a co-educator if applicable
- Organize and run two chuggim (electives) each week, e.g. fire-making, eco-drama, yoga, etc.
- Facilitate all-group theatrical presentations, large scale games and song sessions
- Participate in and contribute to morning tefilla (prayer services)
- Plan and run kvutzah (hiking group) and small learning programs
Demonstrated genuine interest in children and enthusiasm for learning and teaching about nature in an outdoor setting
Experience working with children, preferably in an outdoor setting
Ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions and temperatures
Interest in Teva’s Mission: Jewish Environmental Education
Educators must have current CPR and First Aid certification BEFORE they arrive for their first day of work. WE CANNOT hire staff without First Aid and CPR certification.
$300 per 5-day work week includes room for the entire contract period and board while programs are in session. Educators are not paid a full salary for the training period at the beginning of a season, but will receive a stipend equivalent to one week’s pay for the three week period.
Paid internship positions are also available, for a stipend of $175 per week. Interns have similar responsibilities as educators except that they always team-teach.
To Apply: Send an application, available for download on our website: http://www.tevalearningalliance.org/about-us-staff.php to Emily Kaplan, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, please email or call 212-807-6376.