Posted on July 1, 2012
Humanities West - Assistant Director (Part-Time)
A non-profit serving the Bay Area since 1983, Humanities West is devoted to exploring history to celebrate the mind and the arts. The only independent non-profit offering humanities and arts programs of this scale, Humanities West presents a diverse series of lectures and performances encompassing fine and performing arts, social history, politics, and philosophy of the arts. These multidisciplinary programs are designed to entertain and educate audiences and to illuminate and elevate the human spirit through exploration of the many sources of modern culture.
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit, Humanities West’s programs comprise three or more weekends a year, each with Friday evening and Saturday lectures and performance(s) organized around an historical theme, at Marines’ Memorial Theatre near Union Square in San Francisco. Related lectures and performances are presented in other venues. Humanities West partners widely with other cultural organizations and educational institutions in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Assistant Director assists with the successful administration of programs, fund development, marketing, and communications. This is an exempt position, 40% time.
- Research program topics and prepare program slide shows on Power Point;
- Assist in coordinating operational details of weekend programs and related lectures;
- Maintain mailing lists, purchasers lists, and other spread sheets, on Excel;
- Work with board coordinator of volunteers for program assignments;
- Coordinate meal reservations and seating for private group dinners and lunches;
- Coordinate hotel reservations and other details for presenters;
- Work with theatre and box office on program arrangements, as assigned;
- Work with board coordinator for volunteers and displays at programs.
- Assist in researching foundations and corporations for grants and major gifts;
- Assist in supporting donor community with letters and special events;
- Maintain online E-Tapestry donor management system; generate reports; write thank-you letters;
- Maintain donor lists and donor thank-you files;
- Staff committee meetings as assigned.
- Assist in preparing Board of Directors materials, reports, sales and survey summaries;
- Work with the Executive Director to ensure smooth operations;
- Maintain online Constant Contact email system and statistics;
- Prepare reports on Earthlink website statistics.
Humanities West is an equal opportunity employer. The ideal candidate will have:
- Prior successful work experience in a small non-profit organization;
- Demonstrated capacity to work independently and without supervision to meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
- The ability to focus on meeting the mission while paying close attention to details;
- Expertise in MS Office, especially Excel and Power Point;
- A good sense of humor;
- The ability to work in a second-floor walkup with no elevator.
Inquiries: Patricia Lundberg: 415 391 9700 email@example.com www.humanitieswest.org