Posted on June 29, 2012
Senior Fundraising/Development Manager
PCI- Media Impact
PCI- Media Impact - Senior Fundraising/Development Manager
About the Position: This is a very strategic position for PCI-Media Impact (Media Impact). Media Impact is committed to developing capacity around the world to use creative storytelling and Entertainment-Education to advance social change. Working closely with the Executive Director, the Senior Fundraising/Development Manager will lead the Development Team and all aspects of partnership development, fundraising, management and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Management and Strategy Duties Include: Work closely with the Leadership Team at Media Impact to ensure a coordinated and strategic approach to partnership development, constituency building and generating support and business opportunities. Work closely with the Executive Director and senior members of the Program team to plan, execute and evaluate fundraising opportunities for the organization and lead the development of partner/funder/donor related work, such as preparing proposals, letters of inquiry and introduction, direct mail appeals, reports to donors, updates, etc. Develop strategic approach to broadening organization’s unrestricted revenue stream. Help direct and oversee activities required to raise funds and communicate with foundations and institutional donors (including multi- and bi-lateral donors), major donor gifts, direct marketing, planned giving and public relations. Assist Leadership Team in on-going strategic visioning and planning exercises for the growth of Media Impact. Manage and train a small team of interns to support fundraising work.
Institutional Partners/Donors Duties Include: Develop a diversified institutional giving effort. Working with Leadership Team, develop annual implementation plan, strategize goals and targets for increasing this revenue stream. Conduct prospect research on foundations, organizations, and corporate giving entities to grow this area of funding. Write proposals, concept documents, profiles, reports, and letters of intent and introduction for new and existing funders. Assist in the stewardship of funders. Prepare acknowledgment letters, cultivation mailings, and other correspondence and communications with foundation and institutional donors. Develop and oversee grant tracking system and ensure that all proposals and reports meet deadlines as required by funders. Work with Program team and Chief Financial Officer to generate financial reports for funders as needed. Monitor and report on foundation income. Reconcile revenue with Finance Department.
Major Individual Donors and Direct Marketing Duties Include:
- Support major donor cultivation by identifying and introducing potential major donors to the organization. Develop and implement a Major Donor cultivation strategy to expand base of new donors.
- Support and expand direct marketing efforts and strategy for the organization, including: developing appeal text and content, preparing and expanding mailing lists, establishing mailing schedules, tracking expenditures and income, preparing mailing materials.
- Work closely with the Communications Team to leverage online fundraising opportunities/marketing, and deepen online organization presence to generate greater income. Coordinate drafting of responses to mail (including e-mail) and handle incoming calls. Answer questions about Media Impact’s mission, policies, programs and procedures.
- Produce special correspondence and mailings as needed, including special acknowledgment cards for tribute gifts and gift memberships.
- Maintain our direct mail correspondence and follow-up to individual donors, including cultivation of Media Impact’s bequest program, the Signal Society. Additional tasks may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Knowledge Requirements:
- Education and/or experience equivalent to a Master’s Degree in fields of business, fundraising, communications, international development, Entertainment-Education, social marketing or other degree relevant to communications, partnerships and development.
- Demonstrated success raising funds from individuals, foundations, US-government sources, UN agencies and/or through evolving social media and on-line opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage solicitations, extensive proposal writing and reporting.
- Very strong writing skills required, as writing comprises the majority of work performed and winning grant proposals rests largely on the strength of writing. A writing sample is required and will need approbation of senior management team for the successful candidate.
- Very strong ability to work independently, and strategically, under deadlines, to aggressively meet targets and goals.
- Strong understanding of issues impacting developing countries, particularly around health, population, family planning, climate change, conservation and sustainable development.
- 5-8 years or more of work experience in fundraising/development in the context of international development and communications for social change.
- Proven experience cultivating partnerships and raising funds to support communications strategies and tools to advance local, regional and international program objectives.
- Proven success in being able to thrive in team environments, having a strong understanding of diversity and other cultures, and having built relationships over long distances.
- Strong English-language skills required. Spanish and/or French a definite advantage. Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, and Raiser’s Edge.
How to Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by August 1, 2012. No phone calls please.
About Media Impact: PCI-Media Impact’s mission is to empower communities worldwide to inspire enduring change through creative story-telling. Media Impact is a leader in Entertainment- Education and social change communications. As an independent, non-profit organization, for 27 years Media Impact has worked with local partners to produce programs that address the most pressing social and environmental issues. Using our unique My Community methodology, we engage and empower audiences around the world to improve their own lives. Together, we have produced more than 3,000 episodes of 80 TV and radio serial productions reaching more than 1 billion people in over 40 countries. Media Impact’s head office is in New York, USA, with staff in Sierra Leone, Bolivia, Peru and St. Lucia. Programs are currently operating in 31 countries.