Posted on June 28, 2012
Potomac Riverkeeper - Potomac Riverkeeper/President
SUMMARY: Potomac Riverkeeper, Inc. (PRK) seeks a Potomac Riverkeeper/President to be its river advocate, chief spokesperson, organizational leader and fundraiser. The Riverkeeper/President is responsible for ensuring that the organization builds programs to stop pollution in the Potomac River and its tributaries, secures the resources it needs to succeed, and uses the funds it raises efficiently and effectively. The incumbent also supports the work of the Board of Directors and supervises the senior staff.
Potomac Riverkeeper, Inc. is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to stop pollution and restore clean water in the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers and their tributaries, encompassing some 15,000 square miles in Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. PRK accomplishes its mission through two strategies: enforcement of existing laws and regulations and engagement of volunteers and citizen activists to be the “eyes and ears” of the river.
Founded in 2000, Potomac Riverkeeper currently has a staff of 9 and an operating budget of $800,000 (not including almost $2,000,000 in donated legal and expert services). Funding comes from foundations, corporations, and individuals. Potomac Riverkeeper is located in Washington, DC, with field offices in Rockville, MD, Boyce, VA and Bunker Hill, WV. It is governed by a Board of fourteen directors with a wide variety of skills and experience, and a deep commitment to restoring the health of the Potomac River. Potomac Riverkeeper is a proud member of the Waterkeeper Alliance. To learn more, go to http://potomacriverkeeper.org/job-opportunities
The Riverkeeper/President reports to the Chair of the Board of Directors.
- Identify, prioritize, and take action against illegal pollution;
- Devise strategies to stop, or slow down, legal pollution;
- Find, engage, and manage other resources such as university law clinics, environmental law organizations, major litigation law firms, and citizen activists/volunteers in carrying out the above activities;
- Serve as the principle “voice of the river” ;
- Lead and be the main focus for PRK’s on the water presence;
- Interact with other Waterkeeper organizations and key partners on shared issues;
- Adhere to the Waterkeeper Alliance’s standards governing all Waterkeeper organizations.
- Act as board liaison, informing and supporting the board as needed and working closely with the Board Chair;
- Work with Board and staff to develop, update, and evaluate the organization’s strategic and annual plans;
- With staff support, serve as the organization’s lead fundraiser with foundations, individuals and corporations;
- Ensure that the organization develops sound annual budgets and build the organization’s financial strength and stability;
- Train, supervise, and evaluate senior staff;
- Ensure that the organization’s values and “culture” are honored and upheld.
- Strong commitment to river protection
- Proven ability to inspire, motivate, communicate and manage
- Legal degree or experience in environmental law
- Eight to ten years’ experience in nonprofit or corporate leadership (program development, budgeting, management)
- Experience in raising funds from individuals, foundations & corporations.
- Comfortable with small craft, both powered and paddled
SALARY AND BENEFITS: negotiable
START DATE: January 1, 2013
1) cover email/letter explaining why you’re interested and qualified,
QUESTIONS?(please do NOT call about the status of your application unless absolutely essential.)
Call or email Cabell Williams, 202 669-3131, email@example.com
Please include the words Potomac Riverkeeper Position in the email subject line.
All applications will be acknowledged promptly.
(This job announcement can also be found at www.potomacriverkeeper.org)