Posted on June 26, 2012
Development Officer, Special Events and Appeals
Trickle Up - Development Officer, Special Events and Appeals
Founded in 1979, Trickle Up works with the poorest and most vulnerable-the ultrapoor-to develop sustainable livelihoods and be agents of change in their households and communities. In partnership with local organizations in five countries in West Africa, Central America and India, we provide training and seed capital to help women launch or expand productive businesses, and savings support to help them build their assets. In 2011, we helped start or expand nearly 7,300 businesses, improving the lives of nearly 40,000 people. Trickle Up is headquartered in New York City and has an annual budget of approximately $4.5 million with field offices in Mali, Guatemala and India. See www.trickleup.org for more information.
Development Officer will help manage Trickle Up's fundraising priorities under the direction of the Senior Director of Individual Giving. Responsibilities include managing our annual gala; managing donor cultivation events throughout the year in addition to the gala; coordinating our donor appeals (hard copy mailings and electronic) working with designers, printers and with the individual giving and communications team; and providing critical donor research, proposal and report writing and administrative support to the Senior Director of Individual Giving and President as needed. This position works in partnership with and under the direction of the Senior Director of Individual Giving and in collaboration with the Development Officer/Donor Records Manager on department priorities. Collaboration with the Office of the President, the Institutional Partnerships department, and with the Program, Communications and Finance teams is required to accomplish our core fundraising objectives.
Responsibilities of the position will include:
- Managing Trickle Up's annual gala, which nets more than $750,000 annually by:
- Serving as point person/liaison working with external event planning company.
- Managing and coordinating gala timeline, monthly meetings, datafile production, collateral production, mailings, financial reporting and logistics.
- Managing production of the creative program for the evening working with the communications team, event planning company and outside entertainers/celebrities.
- Assist Senior Director of Individual Giving with communications, research and follow-up related to managing the Gala leadership team (i.e. Honorees, Co-Chairs, and Committees).
- Managing up to three donor cultivation and communications events per year (in addition to the gala) working closely with the office of the President and development and communications teams; includes logistics, invitations and production management.
- Writing and editing donor appeal materials; coordinating mailing/e-blast appeals working with designers, printers and development staff to produce compelling donor appeals on schedule.
- Preparing research and donor meeting information for major donors and board prospects for the Senior Director of Individual Giving and the President and supporting the writing of donor proposals and reports as needed.
- Update Raiser's Edge database with relevant notes and information.
- Provide administrative and analytical support for the Senior Director of Individual Giving and President as needed (e.g., upkeep of departmental calendar, compilation of monthly department updates, hiring/managing interns, tracking spreadsheets, copy editing, filing, etc.)
- Minimum of two years of experience running large-scale benefit events is required. Two to three additional years of prior relevant experience is a plus.
- Well-organized self-starter with exceptional project management skills and superb written and oral communications skills.
- Strong interest in work related to Trickle Up's mission.
- Strong analytical ability and the ability to approach tasks creatively.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team in a resource-limited environment.
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines and track projects while maintaining a detail-oriented quality of work.
- Strong research, writing and editing skills.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Outlook required; knowledge of Raiser's Edge and PowerPoint is a plus.
- US work authorization is required.
Salary and benefits
This is a full-time position based in New York, NY. The salary is competitive with excellent benefits.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until July 6, 2012. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with your name in the subject line. We will only contact those individuals we are interested in interviewing. Please, no phone calls.
Trickle Up is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and extend equal
opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or disability. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential job functions.