Posted on June 26, 2012
Education Development Center
Education Development Center - Development Writer
Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
EDC is Committed to Diversity in the Workplace
The Health and Human Development (HHD) Division has an opening for a Development Writer, reporting to the HHD Division Director in EDC’s headquarters in Waltham.
HHD is dedicated to promoting human development across the life cycle. Our work ranges from health promotion and prevention to early intervention and care. By applying public health and social science strategies, we encourage behaviors and create environments that promote health and prevent disease and injury. The research we conduct and programs we develop support all kinds of organizations. We work at the national, state, and local levels with government agencies, schools and universities, community organizations, hospitals and clinics, law enforcement, and the workplace. To solve complex problems and provide a coordinated response, we also facilitate collaboration among public health, health care, mental health, education, juvenile justice, and social service agencies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - The person in this position is expected to communicate clearly and courteously; to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; and to work respectfully with EDC colleagues. The job requires adherence to EDC policies & procedures.
The HHD Development Writer is responsible for overseeing the writing and editorial activities for strategic proposal development and execution to meet both internal and external standards of excellence. S/He is capable of producing high volume, high quality materials within tight deadlines, collaborating with Subject Matter Experts (SME) to develop content addressing the specific requirements of the RFP/RFTOP.
The Development Writer's responsibilities include:
- Analyzing the technical requirements of RFPs, RFTOPs/etc. to initiate writing plans and timelines. HHD projects and development efforts are primarily U.S. based; some international development is also expected
- Soliciting and reviewing materials from SMEs and writers; works with proposal development team to establish guidelines and timelines
- Creating and managing style guides, ensuring editorial consistency – grammar, spelling, format – in accordance with the requirements of the RFP
- Writing and/or incorporating appropriate background materials, capability statements, resumes, management and staffing plans, and other sections of a successful proposal
- Writing clear and consistent prose; producing entire sections of proposals as needed
- Integrating divisional and organizational win themes throughout the proposal to ensure consistent messaging and promotion of key components; highlighting previous and current work with funder as applicable
- Developing/Managing the development of appropriate graphics, working with the creative team and SMEs; assisting with PPT presentations (increasingly part of proposal process) to ensure consistency and accuracy of messaging
- Substantive editing, including reorganizing information and/or revising text; works with other writers to address issues
- Copyediting drafts and final document according to style guides; checks against RFP to ensure all requirements have been met
- Assisting with internal win/loss reviews, including requests for feedback from funder on loss decisions
The HHD Development Writer promotes equity and opportunity in support of EDC’s commitment to diversity.
QUALIFICATIONS - This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to work independently and effectively in groups; and strong interpersonal & organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- Exceptional writing, editing, and analytic skills, with an aptitude for detail
- Proven experience writing winning proposals for multiple funders, particularly government agencies such as the U.S. Departments of Health and Human Services, Defense, Education, Justice, and Veterans Affairs; the CDC; and other agencies; international experience is a plus
- Demonstrated success with contract awards of $500 K and up; portfolio of success with multi-year, multi-million dollar projects is preferred
- Familiarity with government agencies, foundations, and other funding sources, including understanding of, and experience with, government contracts, cooperative agreements, and grants; fee-for-service and other award types
- Familiarity with public health terminology and concepts, including HIV and AIDS, substance abuse prevention, suicide prevention, PTSD, reproductive health, injury and violence prevention, school health, mental health promotion
- Ability to write appealing, persuasive, and technically accurate text in accordance with funder guidelines for page count and format
- Proven ability to work on multiple projects with multiple teams while meeting deadlines
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, global health, or public policy required; Master’s degree or equivalent desirable
- 8+ years related writing/editing/project management experience
- Previous successful proposal writing experience is essential
CONTACT: No phone calls, please
EDC is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V) and a smoke-free workplace