Posted on June 22, 2012
Center Coordinator, Victimization and Safety
Vera Institute of Justice
Vera Institute of Justice - Center Coordinator, Victimization and Safety
The Vera Institute of Justice is a private, non-profit organization that combines expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance to help leaders in government and civil society improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Through its Center on Victimization and Safety (CVS), Vera works to ensure that un-served and under-served victims of crime have equal access to victim services and criminal justice supports by fostering collaboration and building organizational capacity among victim service providers, population and/or culturally specific service providers, and the criminal justice system. To that end, CVS combines research, technical assistance, and training to assist policy-makers and practitioners to close gaps in our responses to crime victims and ensure all victims have access to the services and supports they need. CVS’s work includes improving services for survivors of domestic and sexual violence with disabilities, and addressing domestic violence in supervised visitation services.
The Center Coordinator position is an extraordinary opportunity for an energetic, self-starter to join a dynamic, committed, hard working team. The position, based in Vera’s New York Office, supports the work of CVS by providing event planning and administrative support. This position reports directly to the Center’s Project Director and works closely with all CVS staff. The center coordinator is responsible for the following essential job functions:
- Providing timely and efficient administrative support, including scheduling meetings, note taking, webinar support, and building online surveys;
- Coordinating staff and consultant travel;
- Processing, tracking, and coding invoices and expenses;
- Supporting event planning; including creating and monitoring meeting work plans, marketing and outreach, managing registration, coordinating production of meeting materials, and providing on-site meeting support;
- Ensuring accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, including securing American Sign Language interpreters;
- Frequently updating and maintaining databases and websites;
- Solving problems and managing numerous tasks daily;
- Serving as the liaison to fiscal staff on behalf of the Center;
- Interfacing with vendors, consultants, and communities, and
- Maintaining a travel schedule of up to 25% of time worked.
Candidates must possess the following:
- A college degree or equivalent experience;
- Work experience in an administrative focused and/or event planning position;
- Desire and temperament to thrive within a dynamic, fast-paced work environment;
- Commitment to excellence in completing all tasks;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail;
- Analytical thinking and rapid problem-solving skills;
- Strong diplomacy and negotiation skills;
- Excellent communications skills, including writing skills;
- The ability to manage work on multiple projects effectively and efficiently;
- The ability to work independently and part of a remote team;
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint; online webinar services; and online survey tools; and
- A willingness to travel outside of New York City.
Upper 30’s, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Submit cover letter and resume.
Online submission at is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
ATTN: Human Resources/CVS Center Coordinator Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Flr.
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail or fax).
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera and the Center on Victimization and Safety, visit our website at www.vera.org.