Posted on May 23, 2013
Development Manager for Walk MS
National Multiple Sclerosis Society
National Multiple Sclerosis Society - Manager Walk MS
The Development Manager for Walk MS in Oklahoma is responsible for the implementation and success of Walk MS and is accountable for reaching fundraising goals by overseeing all aspects of Walk MS, including individual participant fundraising, team fundraising, sponsorship, volunteer recruitment and management, committee development and event planning while operating within a budget.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Actively involved in the following year round:
- Recruit, orient, train, and monitor performance of volunteers to organize events that meet or exceed the established fundraising goals.
- Develop a successful business plan using the organizations core business tactics to reach this goal.
- Develop strong networks within the local community, cold call or develop and grow prospects for potential revenue streams, event sponsorships, and volunteer opportunities, and to increase Walk MS visibility and brand awareness.
- Manage and provide leadership to volunteer committees to ensure that committee members are fully supported and accomplish tasks required for successful events.
- Prepare and maintain accurate records/data to evaluate cost-effectiveness and public awareness of events activities. This may include preparing revenue forecasts and income/expense budgets, compiling and analyzing event statistics, researching and analyzing community fundraising potential versus actual revenues, and more.
- Secure sponsorship for Walk MS to increase public awareness and reach fundraising goals.
- Develop and implement events to recognize, reward, and motivate successful volunteers and fundraisers to ensure ongoing commitment.
- Collaborate with program staff and volunteers to ensure that every Walk MS event contains program content to enhance the knowledge of the audience and general public regarding the National MS Society, programs, programs and services for people living with MS.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications Manager to instill an atmosphere of partnership in developing and utilizing core messaging for all walk participants and donors.
- Adhere to the approved MS Walk Budget for any and all purchase orders and check requests
- Develop and maintain strong relationships and communication with: Teams, Sponsors, Participants, Mission Movers, Silver Stars, Clients, Self Help Group Leaders, Client Services and Programs Department & Volunteers
Logistics (Pre and Post Walk)
Support Logistical Coordinator
Kickoffs (including Internal Kickoffs)
- Recruit & manage High Level Volunteer Leaders & Committees
- Assist in the recruitment and management of Top Level Executive to Chair Walk MS Oklahoma
- Coordinate & Implement Recruitment Strategy
- Build and Strengthen Relationships with Self Help Group Leaders and members to secure their involvement in the MS Walks
Meet with teams and speak to large audiences teaching them about Multiple Sclerosis, The National MS Society, South Central Region and Events such as the MS Walks, Bike Tours, Camps, Etc.
Sign Up Days
Team Visits, etc.
- Working with staff to keep fundraising ideas, challenges and rewards fresh and exciting
- Mission Movers and Silver Stars
- Build and strengthen relationship with top fundraisers
- Main Contact with sponsors – working directly with them on recruitment, fundraising, media, etc.
- Assist with creating a strategic plan for recruiting new sponsorships and maintaining current sponsorships
- Assist in recruitment & cultivating new potential sponsors
- Maintain and further cultivate relationships with existing sponsors
- Build and Strengthen Corporate Development Team
- Participate in Committee Meetings and Planning
- Assist in the assessment of prizes & t-shirts for walkers, team captains, Mission Movers, Silver Stars & committees
- Oversee the ordering and maintain inventory of prizes and awards
- Assist with providing current information and details on MS Walks website, http://www.walkmstexas.org/.
- Assist with creating content for e-newsletters: walker and team captains
- Assist with creating content for MS Connection in relation to MS Walks
- Assist in the develop and management of promotional materials and event publications
- Planning of Awards/Recognition Dinner for walkers, teams, sponsors and top fundraisers
Education and Experience: A minimum of a BA or BS degree or equivalent is needed plus 1 to 3 years of prior related work experience, preferably in non-profit event fundraising with demonstrated ability to successfully fundraise and lead teams.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of industry standards, best practices and current trends.
- Excellent computer skills including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook. Experience with Convio preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills required and an ability to work professionally and cooperatively with a wide range of individuals including board members and volunteers. Must have ability to gracefully handle rejection and bounce back assuring that goals are met. Strong interpersonal and presentation skills required; ability to cold call, grow local contacts and build and nurture effective business relationships to increase Walk MS visibility, brand awareness, volunteer staff and revenue.
- Detail oriented, adaptable, organized and demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks.
- Must be able to read, comprehend and analyze financial goals and fundraising reports and also generate required reports on a timely basis.
- Must be able and willing to travel extensively throughout assigned geographic area and to work evenings, mornings and weekends as necessary.
Supervisory experience preferred.
- Travel within the Oklahoma area as needed
- Weekend and evening responsibilities
- Primarily works in Dallas office at desk/computer, meetings and on the phone
- Lifts, carries or otherwise moves and positions objects weighing up to 40 pounds
To apply for this position or to see other employment opportunities with the National MS Society please visit our online Career Center using the web-link below. We no longer accept mailed, faxed, or e-mailed resumes. Please apply for positions directly through our website. Only those candidates deemed most qualified will be contacted to interview. EOE M/F/D/V