Posted on June 22, 2012
Senior Director of Development
Levitt Pavilions - Senior Director of Development
Announcement Date: 04/20/12; open until filled
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Reports to: Executive Director
Levitt Pavilions seeks a dynamic Senior Director of Development to support the organization’s national expansion efforts. The Senior Director of Development will be the principal architect in building a national fundraising operation. This position is responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive fundraising strategies and campaigns, including a $1M campaign with an emphasis on major gifts in 2012/2013. The Senior Director of Development will identify, cultivate, solicit and steward gifts of five to six figures from individuals, corporations and foundations.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to take a leadership role in shaping the organization’s growth and be instrumental in elevating the national impact of the Levitt program. The ideal candidate will possess a high degree of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit with a minimum of 10 years of fundraising and campaign development experience with demonstrated success in all responsibilities of the position.
- Provide leadership in developing and executing major gift, foundation and corporate giving strategies
- Develop and implement successful cultivation, solicitation and stewardship strategies for high level donors and prospects for annual, multi-year and planned giving support
- Meet with and solicit gifts from donors and prospects, both independently and working collaboratively with the Executive Director and board members
- Provide support to board members in their fundraising efforts
- Research prospects leading to the cultivation and solicitation of new donors
- Identify, cultivate and solicit corporate and foundation support
- Solicit and secure sponsors for events
- Strategize donor and prospect participation in point-of-entry, salon and other events to generate support
- Collaborate to build case for support and develop collateral materials to be used in meetings, presentations and proposals
- Develop and execute well-designed stewardship plan, including fulfillment of donor acknowledgements, foundation requirements and sponsor benefits
- Manage and maintain donor records in Raiser’s Edge database
- Track proposals and provide reports to Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Minimum 10 years of successful fundraising experience in a management position
- Advanced knowledge of campaign development and best practices in major gift solicitation, planned giving, donor recognition and stewardship, and corporate and foundation relations
- Significant experience in strategizing and implementing multi-year, multi-stream campaigns
- Extensive experience and record of accomplishment in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and successfully closing five and six figure gifts
- Demonstrated success in donor stewardship, building strong and long-lasting relationships
- Superb interpersonal and communication skills
- Innovative and strategic thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated with high degree of initiative and entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong leadership qualities, ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a national team
- Highly skilled in managing multiple projects and balancing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for and commitment to Levitt Pavilions’ mission
- Proficiency using fundraising software, Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Willingness to travel
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Valid driver’s license and current insurance required
Levitt Pavilions is a national nonprofit organization that exists to strengthen the social fabric of America. We partner with cities to transform neglected outdoor spaces into welcoming destinations where the power of free, live music brings people together and invigorates community life.
There are currently six Levitt pavilions across the country, forming the only national network of outdoor venues offering free concert series. Each offers more than 50 free concerts annually featuring acclaimed, emerging talent to seasoned, award-winning artists in all music genres. Collectively, these venues present 300+ free concerts every year. Levitt’s family-friendly vibe and open green spaces attract people of all ages and backgrounds. Friends, neighbors, as well as those whose paths might not cross otherwise, gather to relax on the lawn or dance to the music. In 2011, more than half a million people experienced the joy of Levitt.
Central to Levitt Pavilions’ mission is the creation, development and support of Levitt music venues as community gathering spaces. In collaboration with local civic and community leadership, Levitt Pavilions helps cities establish and sustain their own pavilion and Levitt program. Through a public/private partnership, resources are leveraged to transform underused or abandoned public spaces into welcoming, beautiful settings where communities come together for the joyful, shared experience of live music.
Each Levitt music venue is managed and programmed by a local Friends of Levitt Pavilion nonprofit organization. Through an innovative venture philanthropy program supported by the Mortimer & Mimi Levitt Foundation, Levitt Pavilions offers each Friends of Levitt nonprofit seed funding and ongoing financial assistance. We also provide a support system to maximize the impact of the national Levitt network, including best practices, professional development opportunities, shared resources and programming, and peer-to-peer networking.
The success of each Levitt Pavilion, and the impact felt in each community, is receiving national attention. It is expected the Levitt network will grow substantially in the next ten years and these community treasures will collectively serve audiences in the millions.
Visit www.levittpavilions.org to learn more and view videos about the Levitt program.
Compensation commensurate with experience. EEO/AW employer.
Please e-mail or fax cover letter and resume to
FAX (310) 275-2593