Posted on March 30, 2012
Director of Development
Fund for Public Health in New York
Fund for Public Health in New York - Director of Development
Position Reports to: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
The Fund for Public Health in New York, Inc. (FPHNY) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that is dedicated to the advancement of the health and well-being of all New Yorkers. To this end, in partnership with the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), FPHNY implements programs to address pressing public health needs, fosters private sector support to enhance health and health care, and helps educate the public regarding the protection of individual, family and community health.
Reporting to the COO, the Director of Development leads the Development Department in its work to build sustained support for the public health initiatives of the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH). The Director will expand the Fund’s fundraising/development capacity, strengthen and build relationships with current and prospective funders, and oversee all other work related to identifying and raising funds for DOHMH projects. Working with the Executive Director and the Commissioner of Health (COH)/Deputy Commissioners, the Director will manage the process of identifying DOHMH annual fundraising priorities as well as track and report on overall progress during the course of the year. The Director will supervise the development staff including hiring, mentoring and coaching new and existing staff, in addition to providing guidance and/or technical assistance to DOHMH staff seeking grant funding (both public and private). The Director reports directly to the COO but works closely with the Executive Director, providing regular updates on all development activities.
Oversee all Development work of FPHNY including but not limited to:
Propose and develop strategies for fundraising on all COH priorities; implement strategies with the help of the Development Department. Create monthly reports for submission to COH by Executive Director. Oversee all prospect research related to approved projects. Review all material generated by FPHNY Development staff as it is sent to DOHMH partners.
Build and maintain relationships with key DOHMH staff; Division Director (and/or their designee), Assistant Directors, and other project staff towards the goal of developing and implementing fundraising strategies.
Provide direct supervision to all Development Department staff, as well as matrix supervision of Executive Assistant and Special Assistant to the Executive Director as appropriate.
Develop and implement systems to insure compliance with the requirements of the DOHMH Central Review Committee (CRC) and all other funders, appropriately documenting funds raised by FPHNY in support of DOHMH initiatives.
Build and cultivate relationships with various funders, with particular attention to private foundations.
Internal Organization - Management
Participate in setting annual fundraising goals and work with Finance on developing budget projections.
Oversee implementation of annual fundraising plan, monitoring quarterly progress to meet fundraising goals, modifying plan accordingly; manage development’s operations by directing workflow and ensuring optimal use of systems to support fundraising activities.
Design and implement tools and protocols for tracking donor activity, coordinating and updating an annual development calendar, sharing information outside of development, including holding routine meetings to update organization’s leadership on activities, and refine tracking tools.
Participate in the strategic planning of new initiatives. Facilitate integration of development unit activities into work of other functions (finance, etc.).
Develop and implement strategies for sustaining, increasing and expanding institutional giving from foundations and corporations.
Coordinate identification of federal funding opportunities and manage application process.
Oversee, write and/or edit concept papers and all other materials related to visibility and fundraising for FPHNY.
Manage multiple complex grant applications and other funding solicitations, events, campaigns in various stages of development and cultivation (i.e. early planning, active development, pending with donor and requiring follow-up).
Prepare briefings, talking points, presentation packets and schedule pre-meeting calls with key staff in advance of all programmatic fundraising donor meetings, calls or email outreach.
Work closely with grant managers once projects are funded, including participating in regular meetings with DOHMH colleagues to ensure timelines are clear and projects are moving forward, and participate in the editing and submission of reports and correspondence with donors.
Collaborate with Finance, Legal, and Grant Managers to advance best practices that improve organizational efficiency.
External Customers—DOHMH and Others
- Oversee Development team to reach clearly defined goals, delegate responsibility and support staff in their professional development.
- Supervise staff and external consultants on responsibilities related to the work of the development department.
- Set goals and evaluate progress on a regular basis; assign projects and assignments.
- Identify professional development opportunities; recognize exemplary performance.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations and provide ongoing meaningful feedback; address performance problems in a timely and effective manner.
- Communicate important information and opportunities as appropriate.
- Meet with DOHMH program staff to discuss ideas in need of funding, strategize on approach, provide technical assistance including program design recommendations to strengthen project plan, budget development, budget narrative drafting/editing, narrative drafting/editing. Projects may be highly visible and/or sensitive topics, providing a superior level of customer service and responsiveness.
- Maintain excellent donor relations and stewardship on specific projects by communicating regularly with donors about project successes, challenges, and progress towards award goals.
- Research prospects and emerging trends that align with public health priorities.
- Develop and update reporting documents for key stakeholders on development activities.
- Maintain and strengthen existing relationships with DOHMH colleagues and develop new relationships.
- Represent the organization at internal/external meetings and presentations as necessary
- Perform any other department or organization related responsibilities or special projects as directed by the COO and Executive Director.
- BA/BS in related field of study such as public health or public administration. Advanced degree in related field strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years progressive experience in fundraising and development with a proven track record of securing private and public funding.
- Superior knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including: Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook.
- Superior knowledge of fundraising software including Raiser’s Edge.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in program development working with government, foundation, and private sector donors.
- Superior interpersonal, writing and communication skills.
- Strong leadership and managerial capabilities.
- Capable of working and excelling in a fast-paced, collaborative, team-based environment.
- Exceptional customer orientation, flexible and responsive to FPHNY customers.
- High level of quality control and attention to details.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly think through and resolve complex issues with a calm demeanor.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
FPHNY offers a comprehensive benefits package. The salary range for this position is $100,000 to $110,000, dependent upon experience and salary history.
The Fund for Public Health in New York, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply.
To apply, send Resume, with Cover Letter, including salary requirements, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Director of Development_your name” in subject line.