Posted on March 29, 2012
Canopy - Development Director
Canopy is a growing Palo Alto-based environmental nonprofit that engages the community in the growth and care of our urban forest. Through well-established advocacy, planting, tree care and education programs in Palo Alto and East Palo Alto, Canopy creates a more livable environment for all. For more information, visit www.canopy.org.
To achieve our programmatic goals, including Canopy’s Healthy Trees, Healthy Kids! initiative, Canopy seeks a dynamic development professional to refine and implement a multi-pronged fundraising strategy, supported by a well-defined communications and marketing plan.
Development duties include:
Enhance and implement a plan to cultivate increased support from:
- Individuals through annual appeals and major donor development
- Corporations and private foundations
Steward existing donors and supporters, and assist Executive Director in strengthening key stakeholder relationships
Design, plan, and implement the creative and logistical aspects of special fundraising events
- Additional duties include the implementation of an annual communications and marketing plan:
- Develop and publish e-newsletters, press releases, media alerts, and public service announcements
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and Board committees, strengthen Canopy’s advocacy messaging and the organization’s branding and harmonize it across platforms
- Manage content updates for website and other online social networking media
Demonstrated ability to raise funds and meet ambitious goals
Proven track record in successful grant writing for a variety of public and private foundations
Professional experience in marketing and development strategy
Exceptional written and oral communication skills
Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, FileMaker Pro, CMS, and Google and other cloud applications
Familiarity with Palo Alto and East Palo Alto communities strongly preferred
Minimum BA/BS or equivalent experience
A person with a passion for trees, urban greening, or environmental justice
A high energy individual who embraces the variety of hands-on responsibilities that a small organization offers
A flexible and creative team member who can adapt to a fast-paced working environment.
Compensation commensurate with experience includes medical/dental/vision insurance and vacation and sick leave.
Please email resumé, short cover letter, and writing sample to Ann Bilodeau, Member of the Canopy Finance and Development Committee, at email@example.com by April 19, 2012.