Posted on February 26, 2012
ELMA Philanthropies Services
ELMA Philanthropies Services - Grants Administrator
The ELMA Philanthropies Services (U.S.) Inc., founded in 2005, acts as the services arm to the ELMA Group of Foundations. Through offices in New York, Cape Town, and Dar es Salaam, we develop grant program strategies, source grant possibilities, monitor grant performance, and pursue philanthropic opportunities. The leading foundation in the group is the ELMA Foundation, which aims to improve life prospects for African children and youth and the families and communities that care for them through support of sustainable efforts that build African capacity to relieve poverty, advance education, and promote health. More information is available at www.ELMAPhilanthropies.org.
The Grants Administrator provides a key function at ELMA and is responsible for all administrative aspects of grants, which includes tracking and monitoring current grants, preparing documents for grant development, working with Program staff to ensure timely and accurate grantee reporting, and ensuring that the grants processes meet with ELMA’s administrative and legal requirements. The Grants Administrator reports to the Vice President, Program Administration and works closely with all ELMA Philanthropies staff across the three offices, as well as with the ELMA Foundation and grantee organizations.
This is an exciting opportunity for a conscientious, collaborative, energetic person to contribute to significantly updating the grants administration systems of an international philanthropic institution.
- Provide core grants administration functions to ensure compliance with financial, legal, and Foundation requirements
- Ensure that the information in the GIFTS database and in paperwork files is accurate and current
- Participate fully in cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary teams responsible for all aspects of grants development, implementation, and management
- Review grant recommendations and supporting documentation for administrative adequacy and accuracy
- Support high-achieving program staff to prepare grant recommendations and modifications
- Assist program staff to ensure grantee reports are timely and complete, and accessible to ELMA program staff
- Prepare periodic grant summary reports for top management, board members, and the ELMA foundations
- Contribute to transparency for all staff of administrative processes and key grants administration tasks
- Drive workflow process improvements and efficiency gains while balancing existing responsibilities
- Provide technical assistance to grantees on administrative matters
- Review and proof-read documents as needed
- Pro-actively participate in meeting project deadlines as required across the organization with a positive attitude
Required Qualifications and Qualities for Success
- A strong administrative service orientation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; courtesy, tact, and team orientation
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines, strong organizational capabilities
- Experience in grants administration
- Stong working knowledge of the MicroEdge GIFTS database program, or a similar grants management database
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, and the ability to learn new applications quickly
- Demonstrated ability to work as a self-starting member of a team and in a collaborative, cooperative environment
- Willingness to handle a complex, detail-oriented workload
- Understanding of and sensitivity to diverse cultural norms and practices
- Excellent writing, spelling, and grammar skills
- BA/BS degree or combination of equivalent experience and education
- Strong character and sense of integrity
- Financial literacy, including comfort working with budgets and grantee financial analyses
- Manage excellently all administrative concerns for ELMA’s four quarterly cycles of new grant recommendations per year
- Join a dynamic and committed team moving ELMA’s grant-making into an increasingly strategic phase and through a significant expansion
- Develop in-depth knowledge of ELMA’s current open grants (approx. 65 in number). Ensure grantee reporting is timely, accurate and complete and, as needed, that subsequent payments or grant modifications are processed efficiently
- Assist colleagues to understand grants administration tasks and participate in updating grant-related workflows organization-wide
- Work with program staff to ensure that GIFTS data and paper grant files are accurate, complete, and accessible
- Function as the organization’s expert on the GIFTS database, facilitating data entry by Grants Administration and colleagues in the program and grants finance staffs
- Update regular grants status reporting so that management and the board have clear, concise, accurate and timely information on grants status
Excellent benefits include comprehensive medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, and generous vacation.
The ELMA Philanthropies Services (U.S.) Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, where employment and promotion opportunities are based on individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Send resume and cover letter including salary information to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.