Posted on February 21, 2012
Senior Communications Strategist
Legatum Center at MIT
Legatum Center at MIT - Senior Communications Strategist
Reports to Assistant Director
The Legatum Center at MIT seeks a Senior Communications Strategist (SCS) to manage the Center’s case writing program, high-level communications strategy, media relations and publishing.
The SCS’s essential responsibilities include creating, supervising and ensuring high quality writing; establishing the overall communications strategy and delegating communications-related activities (except Director’s writings) and enabling the writing staff to achieve their objectives. The SCS will be responsible for assisting the Director in refining core messaging, and ensuring consistency of this messaging throughout the Center. The SCS will be responsible for the publishing program, working with the Assistant Director to allocate and manage resources and staff involved. He/she will be a representative to the external world for the Legatum Center (in addition to the Director). SCS will create a media strategy, which includes creating guidelines for choosing speaking engagements and written pieces, and assisting to establish a brand identity (including trademarks and other intellectual property management). The SCS will work in partnership with the marketing team to address marketing and recruitment needs and the creation of marketing materials. SCS will provide quarterly reports to the director and ensure consistency and efficiency by providing regular updates to the staff on a regular basis.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Assistant Director and the communications leadership team to define the communications strategy for the Center
- Develop and refine core messaging; ensure organizational consistency throughout all Center communications channels
- Communications strategy for Director’s communications
- Lead the communications, web, and marketing team to collaborate on various projects
- Create guidelines for proprietary videos, photos, etc… as well as enforcing a style guide
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting materials as needed
- Contact person for media, create an outreach plan targeting high-level external audiences, including media and key influencers
- May work with outside media consultants
- Create and update media packets and contingency plans
- Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships
- Generate high-level media mentions for the Center or Fellows
- Oversee the production and timing of press releases
- Work with the communications team to identify media opportunities
- Production of 10 cases per year, including video component
- Will spearhead the case writing program
- Supervise the writing, research and marketing of cases
- Edit and fact check cases, and identify new cases
Master's degree in a relevant discipline, e.g., English, Journalism, etc… and a minimum of ten years experience in writing, editing and publishing cases or an equivalent output. Must have relevant supervisory/management experience. Candidate must have excellent writing, copyediting, proofreading, and project management skills and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. Because the Legatum Center strives to be the premier source of high quality, factual studies on entrepreneurial activities internationally, the SCS must be highly detailed, analytical and not afraid to question people or facts. Must have experience implementing a successful communications strategy, supervising a writing staff and guiding them to meet their objectives. The candidate must have demonstrated good judgment and discretion with confidential materials. Legatum cases strive to bring real life, compelling examples to students via video clips. For this reason, the SCS should have experience providing creative direction to multi-media production crews. Strong computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, collaboration tools and some database knowledge are highly desired. The SCS should have a background in entrepreneurial activity in low-income countries and strive to have a deep understanding of the Center’s mission. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Additional information about the Legatum Center is available at http://legatum.mit.edu/.
Competitive Salary, Excellent Benefits
TO APPLY: Only applications submitted via MIT Employment web site will be reviewed. Please go to: http://jobs.mit.edu/ and type in 'mit-00008425' in Keywords. Follow online links in How to Apply.
MIT is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer