Posted on June 26, 2012
Chief Development Officer
SIFMA Foundation - Chief Development Officer
The SIFMA Foundation has a rich tradition of promoting financial education across communities. Drawing on the support of the financial industry, the SIFMA Foundation provides programs and tools that strengthen economic opportunity for individuals of all backgrounds and increase access to the benefits of the global marketplace. With a 34-year history of educational leadership, the SIFMA Foundation has changed millions of lives, including 14 million students who have gained academic enrichment and critical life skills through SIFMA Foundation’s acclaimed Stock Market Game™, InvestWrite®, and Capitol Hill Challenge™ programs.
The SIFMA Foundation is seeking a Chief Development Officer to provide leadership and supervision for the organization’s advancement efforts including annual giving, major grants, RFPs, sponsorships, fundraising and events, and special campaigns – and their related communications. The Chief Development Officer will work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors, staff, and key constituents to plan and execute a comprehensive development program based on the Foundation’s long- and short-term needs, and identify and generate revenue for the enterprise.
- Build and implement comprehensive development strategy including scalable models to meet aggressive growth goals, establish performance measures, monitor results, and evaluate/report on effectiveness of the strategy.
- Manage the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of potential funders—individuals, corporations, foundations—and expand Foundation’s strategic relationships in collaboration with Board and key constituents.
- Establish and administer constituency development programs including an annual fundraising event, regular conferences, awards ceremonies, alumnae cultivation initiatives, planned giving efforts, and special projects.
- Oversee grant-related communications, including serving as the primary writer and editor of proposals, presentations, reports, and budgets for funding projects, fundraising letters/appeals.
- Develop and maintain database of grant opportunities, funder profiles, and legacy gifts to the Foundation and stay informed about trends, new developments, and emerging opportunities in the philanthropy and fundraising fields as well as in education/financial education grants/RFPs.
- Work with SIFMA staff to reflect enterprise-wide messages and themes in development materials and to reinforce a favorable public image among internal/external audiences.
- Record of personally identifying, cultivating and soliciting major corporate, private, and/or individual donors and proven success in securing six figure gifts/grants—a frontline fundraiser.
- Comprehensive understanding of fundraising mechanics and extensive, current knowledge of fundraising trends across multiple markets and media, including new media fundraising options.
- 6-8 years of progressively responsible leadership experience in fundraising or a related field.
- Tremendous motivation, energy, and strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent development-related technical writing and marketing skills, with direct experience in the production of high-quality fundraising marketing materials.
- A passion for and/or experience in the field of education.
- Proven management and leadership capabilities, including ability to collaborate, inspire teamwork, and motivate others to work together toward a common goal.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and create appropriate frameworks and models.
- Articulate and persuasive communication style, with well-honed relationship building acumen.
- Knowledge of the local and national philanthropic arena.
- Broad functional experience in areas of strategic planning, marketing, promotions, and events.
- A professional demeanor and personal style that elicits trust from prospects, staff, and board.
- A strong work ethic and a results/solutions-driven, positive attitude.
- Impeccable integrity, judgment, and discretion needed to handle confidential matters.
- Advanced degree highly desirable.
We offer salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package. Please send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate "SIFMA Foundation-Chief Development Officer" in the subject line of your email. EOE.