Posted on February 17, 2012
NoVo Foundation - Communications Manager
NoVo Foundation is dedicated to catalyzing a transformation in global society, moving from a culture of domination to one of equality and partnership. NoVo supports the development of capacities in people—individually and collectively—to help create a caring and balanced world that operates on the principles of mutual respect, collaboration, and civic participation, thereby reversing the old paradigm predicated on hierarchy, violence, and the subordination of girls and women.
NoVo Foundations seeks a Communications Manager to support all strategic communication activities and serve as the Foundation’s institutional memory and information hub. The Communications Manager will create and implement a Foundation-wide communication action plan that supports the Foundation’s mission and goals, already defined. The Manager will develop strategies to enhance the Foundation’s initiatives and will be responsible for varied and integrated communications products and services, both printed and online. This is a newly created position, and the Communications Manager will be the only Foundation employee solely dedicated to these tasks.
In collaboration with Foundation leadership and staff, this individual will serve as an internal advisor and thought partner who will work to create powerful and consistent messaging externally and internally. The Manager must be a big picture thinker and a team player. As a member of the senior management team, the Manager will be a dedicated advocate for the Foundation’s strategic Initiatives. NoVo Foundation employs a small staff so the Manager will be responsible for a range of responsibilities and tasks associated with communicating and promoting its mission. The Manager will report directly to the President.
- Develop and support organization-wide communication needs, clarifying and conveying the Foundation’s internal and externally messaging;
- Develop and maintain a robust archive of relevant NoVo materials and libraries;
- Create, implement and oversee communications tools and processes to support and enhance internal communications;
- Coordinate activities to capture, retain and share institutional knowledge, including annual report preparation;
- Gather, organize and provide the staff and Board with meeting materials, relevant documents, and other information in a timely fashion;
- Establish templates for standard communication pieces,
- Take and produce minutes of Board and other Foundation meetings to capture institutional memory as needed;
- Conduct research and prepare briefing packages for President and Initiative staff; and
- Work on special projects and participate in office workgroups, as assigned.
- Collaborate with President and Initiative staff on public relations efforts by creating, proofing, and editing press releases, advocacy materials, written correspondence, speeches, talking points, annual reports, and any other related materials;
- Ensure accuracy, quality and consistency of external communications across all Initiative areas;
- Produce print publications, including, but not limited to, establishing and monitoring production schedules, extensive editing, and original writing;
- Handle all press communication and coordination;
- Manage outside communications and branding consultants, including writers, designers, and researchers;
- Conduct research and prepare briefing packages and fact sheets for outside audiences;
- Obtain necessary approvals for any materials to be released on behalf of the Foundation or its staff;
- Manage overall maintenance of website content, ensuring consistency and accuracy; and
- Curate rotating photo gallery exhibits.
- This intellectually challenging senior position requires a professional who is able to listen critically and think and act creatively, strategically and nimbly.
- The individual must have a successful track record translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- The individual must be comfortable and interested in carrying out both strategic and tactical implementation activities.
- The successful candidate should be a skillful and creative researcher and storyteller, with experience addressing different audiences across multiple medium and platforms.
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of constituents is a must.
- The position requires extensive successful writing, editing, production and project management experience with a variety of print and online media (internally and externally focused).
- Should have excellent judgment and an innovative, pro-active problem solving orientation.
- The individual should exhibit the ability and interest to develop and maintain collaborative, respectful, and honest relationships.
- Technical skills should include high proficiency in Microsoft Office and Mac applications, and some graphic design experience.
- A minimum of five years experience, planning, writing, editing, researching and producing newsletters, press releases, annual reports, and other print publications in a communications department is desired.
- Six or more years experience in a marketing or communications role is desired.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interact with leadership, staff and a Board of Directors.
- BA or BS in relevant field.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and/or previous journalism experience is a plus.
Compensation and Culture:
NoVo offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, generous vacation, and a pleasant working environment. They employ a small staff and are committed to promoting an environment of collaboration and workplace flexibility. NoVo values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of diverse backgrounds, sex, race, religion, and sexual orientation.
All applications must include:
Thoughtful cover letter
- Three writing samples (attached in PDF format):
- One informal, such as a blog post or email alert
- One that is marketing-oriented in tone and style, such as an editorial or press release
- One that is a longer-form narrative piece on a specific subject
- E-mail Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Communications Manager/YOUR NAME
Final applicants will be asked to complete a series of writing assignments, as directed.
Application Deadline: April 1, 2012