Posted on February 17, 2012
Association for Neighborhood and Housing Development
Association for Neighborhood and Housing Development - Advocacy Associate
The Association for Neighborhood & Housing Development (ANHD) – a member-organization of neighborhood-based affordable housing groups - seeks an Associate to coordinate policy and advocacy to win improved affordable housing policies in New York City. The Associate will help develop clear affordable housing policy recommendations, then implement those recommendations to win policy change by mobilizing advocacy campaigns with ANHD’s member organizations.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Advocacy Associate will:
Assist with the research, policy analysis, and development of ANHD’s housing production and preservation priorities, including a campaign to win policies that require permanent affordability of publicly-subsidized housing.
Synthesize policy ideas into easily understood materials for diverse audiences, including member groups, elected officials, policymakers/experts, and other issue stakeholders.
Support member advocacy committees and working groups. The Associate will work collaboratively with our members, providing them with the information and technical assistance needed to formulate and pursue successful Citywide advocacy campaigns.
Work closely with the ANHD Policy Director to ensure our programmatic advocacy is well integrated into our broader policy advocacy and neighborhood organizing efforts.
- A minimum of three years of professional experience in policy, advocacy, or community organizing related to affordable housing and community development.
- Very strong written communication skills required; public speaking experience a plus.
- Commitment to New York City’s neighborhoods and respect for community organizing and grassroots organizations.
- Must be very self-directed, creative and highly productive.
- Familiarity with and interest in NYC, NYS and federal housing issues.
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) preferred
ANHD encourages applications from women and people of color.
To Apply: Please send resume, cover letter and brief writing sample to:
50 Broad Street, Suite 1125
New York, NY 10004-2376