Posted on March 13, 2012
California League of Conservation Voters
California League of Conservation Voters - Development Manager
The California League of Conservation Voters is the political arm of California’s environmental community. Now in its 40th year, CLCV is a leader in the environmental movement both in California and around the nation. CLCV is distinguished for its political influence: we support environmental candidates for state public office, track legislative activity, and implement environmental policy reform programs. Our Annual Environmental Scorecard is the authoritative source on environmental actions of the state electorate. In addition to an annual budget of $5 million, CLCV raises funds for political campaigns and PACs. CLCV is a mature and growing organization with a current membership of 50,000.
Title: Development Manager
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Employment Type: Full time/Exempt
Position Location: Oakland
The Development Manager reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is responsible for supporting CLCV’s major donor development activities in Northern California. Primary responsibilities include: support of CEO and Board member donor solicitation and stewardship specific to Northern California; development of written materials for donor development including annual appeals and donor solicitations; and management of one major fundraising event in Northern California. In addition, the Manager is responsible for implementing CLCV’s event calendar, including a series of donor cultivation events held in Northern California. This is an excellent opportunity for a professional with fundraising or event coordination background seeking to advance in the development field. Candidates who have a sincere commitment to CLCV’s mission to promote environmental protection and natural resource preservation by ensuring legislative accountability are invited to apply for this unique and challenging opportunity.
- In cooperation with the COO, develops and updates an annual development plan.
- Works with Development department staff to plan and implement donor cultivation and stewardship activities and ongoing donor relations, as well as develop and implement strategies for identifying and soliciting prospective major donors.
- Supports the Northern California board members and Green Advisory Council (GAC) members on their fundraising, providing training, support materials, and documentation to get all prospects and donors into Raiser’s Edge.
- Develops strategies for donor development and prepares correspondence, organizational collateral, reference materials, and written guidance.
- Organizes and implements an annual calendar of major donor meetings for CEO, Political Director, and Board and GAC members in Northern California.
- Maintains donor contact schedule, tracks Northern California donor contacts (meetings, correspondence, phone calls, etc.) and updates donor profiles in Raiser’s Edge.
- Serves as the CLCV lead for implementing the annual major fundraising event in Northern California, including project management, coordination, oversight of event planning and outreach materials, recruitment of in-kind donations and budget oversight. In addition, the Manager serves as liaison with Board and staff in support of acquiring event sponsors and meeting fundraising goals.
- In conjunction with senior staff, staffs and coordinates our Environmental Leadership Forum (ELF) meeting series in Northern California, securing venues and speakers and coordinating and promoting events.
- Monitors and communicates status of events to staff, Board, and volunteers to ensure that project goals are met.
- Enthusiastically and clearly presents CLCV to prospects and supporters and listens for opportunities for gifts of assets or other non-cash support.
- Meets/exceeds monthly and quarterly goals for meaningful contact with donors and prospective donors as well as annual dollar goals.
- Supports senior staff to develop and implement an annual fundraising plan.
- Contributes to monthly and quarterly meeting agenda and reporting.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of five years’ professional experience with donor cultivation, fundraising, and major donor giving.
- Events management experience.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects independently and make use of project management tools.
- Superior professional manner and networking abilities.
- Exceptional written, grammatical, and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to present persuasive, engaging arguments for support.
- Excellent computer skills and preferably knowledge of Raiser’s Edge software.
- Preferred: experience developing written appeals, organizational collateral, and event-related materials.
- Background in nonprofit organizations, including experience working with Boards of Directors and volunteers (preferably with C3 and C4 organizations).
- Background and/or interest in the environment and politics.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
CLCV offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and disability coverage; a 401(k) retirement program with employer match; discounted pre-tax Commuter Checks for public transit; flexible spending account (FSA) for health care expenses; paid vacation, personal time, and floating holidays; optional life insurance; and employee assistance and travel assistance programs.
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to CLCVjobs@ecovote.org, with the subject header “Development Manager.” No phone calls, please. For more information about CLCV please visit www.ecovote.org.
CLCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified persons of all backgrounds to apply.
Last Day to Apply: 3/16/12