Posted on February 15, 2012
New Field Foundation
New Field Foundation - Associate Director
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Payroll Status: Regular Full-Time
Founded in 2003, New Field Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation which contributes to the creation of a peaceful and equitable world by supporting women and their families to overcome poverty, violence, and injustice in their communities. New Field Foundation is currently focusing on Sub-Saharan Africa and operates in support of Tides Foundation's international grantmaking.
Taking a senior role in the organization, the Associate Director provides operational leadership in the realization of the foundation’s mission and grantmaking programs. Responsibilities include organizational development, program strategy and implementation, as well as financial and administrative oversight. The position is based in San Francisco.
The Associate Director reports to, and works closely with, the Executive Director, and has regular contact with members of the New Field board, staff and program consultants, based in four small offices in USA, Senegal, Burkina Faso and Sierra Leone. The Associate Director initially supervises two field-based program consultants in West Africa and two administrative staff in San Francisco.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Organizational Leadership and Development (25%)
The Associate Director plays a critical role in organizational leadership and development, including:
- Partnering with the Executive Director to monitor and evaluate organizational development for continuous improvement.
- Shaping and implementing organizational priorities and organizational infrastructure to support the realization of New Field’s strategic goals.
- Designing and facilitating organizational processes for strategic planning, budgeting and review, employee evaluation and organizational learning.
- Supporting the Executive Director to implement, monitor and evaluate institutional policies, strategic plans and systems.
- Maintaining the primary relationship with Tides’ Philanthropic Advisor.
Program Management (50%)
The Associate Director plays a vital role and works closely with Program Consultants and the Executive Director to develop and realize New Field’s grantmaking programs. Responsibilities include:
- Helping define programmatic vision and strategy.
- Developing program and grantmaking policies.
- Overseeing the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of grant making programs.
- Managing and integrating programmatic learning across the organization.
- Supervising Program Consultants and Grants Administrator.
- Developing and approving grantmaking guidelines.
- Ensuring effective due diligence and compliance for grants.
- Overseeing grant recommendations, including reviewing and editing drafts for presentation to the Board of Directors.
- Supporting the development of information about grantee partners and their work.
Finance, Human Resources & Administration (25%)
The Associate Director oversees all finance, human resources and administrative functions, including:
- Ensuring sound policies and procedures for fiscal control, risk management, contracts, human resources and legal compliance.
- Manage the development and monitoring of the organizational budget.
- Overseeing cash management and financial reporting to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Supervising Finance & Administration Manager.
- Overseeing recruitment and retention of staff and consultants
Shared Responsibilities of All Team Members:
In addition to the essential duties and responsibilities listed above, all team members are expected to contribute to the following shared responsibilities:
- Participate in team planning processes
- Participate in team recruitment and evaluation processes
- Contribute to organizational and strategic planning processes
Knowledge and Experience
- 5+ years in senior non-profit management roles, including program and administrative leadership
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience in fiscal management, including preparation and analysis of integrated financial statements, and organizational budgeting processes
- Demonstrated experience in the planning, implementation and evaluation of grants programs
- Familiarity with women’s organizing in Africa, particularly rural women, with understanding of food sovereignty, land rights and sustainable agriculture
- Impeccable integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to think strategically, creatively problem solve, exercise good judgment and lead change
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills
- Ability to flexibly share leadership and build consensus with high level of cross-cultural competence
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic team and build strong working relationships
- High level of written and spoken French
- Excellent communicator and writer with experience as a spokesperson who can articulate messages to different audiences
- Availability to travel
Equal Employment Opportunity:
New Field is an equal opportunity employer. Employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your application must include the following:
1. Resume in English.
2. Answers to the following three questions (no more than two pages overall):
a. Why are you interested in this job? (Please answer in English)
b. What are the particular qualities you would bring to this position? (Please answer in English.)
c. What would you find challenging or difficult about this position? (Please answer in French)
3. Contact details for three people who are willing to act as professional references for you. (In English)
4. How you heard about this opportunity. (In English)
5. What your level of French language is. (In French)
Please submit your application to email@example.com with ‘Associate Director application’ in the subject line. The position is open until filled.