Posted on February 2, 2012
Communications Director, Faith and Climate Change
Regeneration Project/Interfaith Power and Light
Regeneration Project/ Interfaith Power and Light - Communications Director, Faith and Climate Change
The Regeneration Project is the national office of the Interfaith Power & Light (IPL) campaign. The IPL campaign is mobilizing a religious response to global warming in concert with our affiliate organizations in 39 states. IPL engages congregations through energy conservation and renewable energy programs, education and outreach, and public policy advocacy. IPL is working with faith communities around the country to become leaders in the fight against global warming. Over 14,000 congregations of all faiths are involved, in all 50 states.
The Communications Director (CD) will develop and implement a national communications strategy to raise the profile of Interfaith Power & Light and broadcast faith-based and moral messages for climate action. The CD will be responsible for promoting our national policy priorities, strategic message development, recruiting and training spokespersons, and interacting directly with media outlets. Candidates should have demonstrated success in generating earned media in both traditional and online outlets. Candidates should also be experienced in utilizing social media for message amplification and list-building. The position is suited for an experienced communications professional who is excited about taking a relatively new and rapidly growing organization (we’ve just entered our second decade) to the next level. The ideal candidate will also have experience with the faith community and climate and/or energy policy advocacy along with at least three years project management experience.
This is an opportunity to join a unique and dynamic organization in a newly created, strategic position.
- Develop and implement national communications plan targeting both traditional and new media opportunities
- Ensure that social media communications are consistent with overall media strategy and messages
- Create and oversee development of compelling written materials including website content
- Maintain and develop relationships with reporters and editors; manage media database and track news coverage
- Monitor and analyze media coverage of national campaigns and state affiliates
- Work with state affiliate leaders to help them develop their communications programs
- Collaborate with other staff to integrate media outreach into campaign planning
- Travel to training events, strategy sessions, visibility events, or other large events and conferences as needed
- Provide creative input and work with multiple teams
- Collaborate with development team to ensure effective communication with funders, board members, and supporters
- Work with president and executive director to ensure program is meeting strategic priorities
- Work in coalitions with other environmental and faith-based organizations
- B.A. or B.S.
- Seven to ten years media experience including at least three years in a senior management position
- Proven experience developing and implementing successful media and communications strategies
- Strong track record developing and managing creative online campaigns using social media, including list building campaigns
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Experience with climate, energy efficiency, and/or renewable energy policy
- Experience working in a nonprofit setting
- Experience working with the faith community preferred
- Ability to plan, organize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment; excellent attention to detail and follow-through are essential
- Ability to take initiative, think creatively and work collaboratively with people of diverse backgrounds and skills
- Proficiency with MS Word Office Suite and aptitude with Internet applications including email, social media, constituent relationship management and other related database tools
- Experience with Macintosh computers, online CRM and CRS software a plus
The Regeneration Project offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, generous vacation time, commuter benefits and a retirement savings plan.
San Francisco (Financial District)
Please send a resume and cover letter by February 24, 2012 to:
Communications Director Search
Care of Gretchen Killion
Please note where you saw the job posting.