Posted on February 1, 2012
The Crucible - Development Dirctor
Founded in 1999, The Crucible is a nonprofit arts organization located in Oakland, CA, that fosters a collaboration of arts, industry and community. Offering over 500 day time, evening and weekend classes and workshops in fine and industrial arts, the organization serves over 5,000 adults, teens and children annually. The Crucible promotes creative expression, reuse of materials, and innovative design while serving as an accessible arts venue for the general public. From welding to woodworking to fire dancing to jewelry making, The Crucible is the best-equipped industrial arts facility in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Crucible has an annual budget of approximately $2.2 million and a staff of 20. In addition to serving adults and youth, The Crucible provides rental space to local artists at its 56,000 square foot facility, and has historically produced an annual Fire Arts Festival in July, and presented a theatrical performance every January featuring a collaborative mix of fine art, fire art, music and dance. For more information, visit our website at www.thecrucible.org.
The Crucible is looking for a proven, results oriented Development Director with experience managing and coordinating all Crucible fundraising efforts totaling approximately $1 million dollars annually. The Development Director creates fundraising strategies that increase the organization's support from individuals, corporations, foundations, and other sources. The Development Director plays a key role in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors. The Development Director works in close collaboration with the Executive Director, Development Committee, Board of Directors and senior staff to achieve the fundraising goals of the organization including aligning fundraising efforts with the strategic plan.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director is responsible for overseeing fundraising events, The Crucible membership drive and member benefits. The Development Associate reports directly to the Development Director.
- Plan, administer, and implement all fundraising activities of The Crucible
- Develop annual and long range fundraising plans in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Research, cultivate and directly solicit individual and corporate sponsorships and major gifts, working with the Executive Director and Board, as appropriate
- Coordinate the donor experience at Crucible events and galas in collaboration with the event manager and production staff
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the philanthropic community, individual and corporate donors, sponsors, board members and volunteers
- Maintain a proactive, creative leadership role in the identification, cultivation, solicitation and tracking of individual, corporate and foundation contributions
- Provide detailed, accurate and timely reports on fundraising activity to the Executive Director, Development Committee, Board of Directors and others on a regular basis
- Manage the development department in a fiscally sound manner by ensuring that the appropriate systems, staffing and procedures are in place to support fundraising goals
- Manage and oversee the Development Associate’s performance in the areas of, including but not limited to, the annual membership program, database management, and donor stewardship! !
- At least five years of proven experience managing a complex fundraising program in a nonprofit organization with a reputation for quality and excellence
- A successful track record of personally identifying, cultivating and soliciting individuals, corporations and foundations. Must have a history of soliciting major gift prospects over $25K
- Must have a history of crafting and implementing a comprehensive development plan and be expected to expound upon it at first interview
- Should have a record of measurable results in organizing and implementing major gifts, annual gifts, grant writing, corporate and foundation giving, direct mail and special events
- Demonstrated experience in creating and managing budgets, forecasting and reporting
- Computer and Internet literacy (Mac OS environment) with knowledge of standard office applications, FileMaker Pro and other database programs
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in developing and implementing procedures
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities and a diverse workload, while achieving results
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment
- Ability to tactfully and effectively deal with public and staff at all levels in a personable and professional manner
The salary range for the position is commensurate with experience.
The Crucible offers a benefits package that includes health insurance, and paid vacation.Application Instructions
Please submit your resumé and cover letter to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be considered as they are received.