Posted on January 26, 2012
BAM: Brooklyn Academy of Music
BAM: Brooklyn Academy of Music - Grants Writer
Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), an internationally recognized presenter of contemporary performing arts and cinema, seeks Full Time Grants Writer to write timely and factual fundraising documents in order to maintain and/or cultivate donor relationships. This includes developing narrative proposals and reports, budgets and financial reports, and developing other supplementary materials.
- Write high quality grant proposals, reports, and related fundraising documents in a timely manner.
- Write fundraising proposals, reports, inquiry letters, cover letters, and related documents, and develop accompanying budgets and financial reports. As part of this process, update Grants records, as needed (e.g. database, grants task list, tracking document, etc.).
- Maintain up-to-date descriptive language (e.g. general support, education, etc.) for use in proposals and reports by the Grants Department and other departments.
- Oversee key crediting for foundation and government agencies.
- Assist with supervision of other Grants Department staff, including interns, in writing proposals and reports.
- Edit and proofread proposals, reports, and other materials written by other members of the Grants Unit.
- Identify and reach out to foundations and government funders directly to cultivate new relationships or follow up on prior discussions/correspondence, under the supervision of the Director of Grants.
- Assist with prospect research.
- Represent BAM at internal and external events and meetings as required, including donor site visits, which occasionally may occur during evening or weekend hours.
Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred
At least two years of work experience in a not-for-profit arts and/or cultural fundraising environment in positions with a writing or proposal writing focus.
Familiarity with the New York City fundraising environment, particularly foundation and government funders, is desired.
Familiarity with BAM’s programming and mission.
Excellent writing skills.
Excellent research and managerial skills.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Knowledge of Tessitura, or other similar database helpful.
Salary is in the low $40K per year (plus a full benefits package is offered)
Jan 27, 2012 or until filled
No calls please. Must complete an online application at http://brooklynacademy.appone.com