Posted on May 18, 2012
Special Events and Alumni Affairs Coordinator
California Maritime Academy
California Maritime Academy - Special Events and Alumni Affairs Coordinator
Classification: Public Affairs/Communication Specialist II
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Exempt or Non-Exempt: Exempt
Closing Date: Friday, June 1, 2012
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA MARITIME ACADEMY:
The California Maritime Academy is a specialized campus of the California State University (CSU) system serving a student population of approximately 925. The campus, situated on the shore of the Carquinez Strait 30 miles northeast of San Francisco, currently offers baccalaureate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A Master of Science degree in three areas of Transportation and Engineering Management is offered.
ABOUT THE OFFICE OF ADVANCEMENT AND THE POSITION:
The Office of Advancement manages the fundraising efforts on behalf of Cal Maritime, which includes soliciting individuals, corporations, foundations and professional associations for both operational and capital campaign needs. The Office also organizes and conducts special fundraising events and manages the campus Public Relations office.
Under the supervision of the Director of Development and Alumni Affairs, the Special Events and Alumni Affairs Coordinator is responsible for organizing a variety of special events and fundraising activities for the Office of Advancement. The Coordinator will also assist with various functions of the CMA Alumni Relations Office.
Work in collaboration with staff, board, and volunteers to plan, coordinate and implement all aspects of CMA special events activities to support revenue generating goals. These events include, but are not limited to, the Annual Gala, Homecoming Event, Golf Tournament, Day on the Bay and other CMA Foundation sponsored events.
Coordinate the development and distribution of event marketing materials (i.e., event brochures, invitations, “Save-the-Date” cards, e-mail invitations, etc.).
Prepare and send electronic invitations via iModules for all events
Coordinate with volunteers and staff to research, identify, solicit, and secure procurement items for fundraising events.
- Support the business of the Alumni Association Board of Directors, including arranging meetings, preparing minutes, etc.
- Assist the Alumni Association Board in organizing Homecoming Weekend, support alumni reunion classes, and assist with reunion class gift committees.
- Organize receptions onboard the Training Ship Golden Bear.
- Maintain the alumni web site with upcoming alumni event information and content (including event registration pages).
- Thorough knowledge and ability to effectively maintain the Alumni Association’s social networking media such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Prepare monthly 4th Thursday reminders via iModules.
- Assist with the marketing and provide additional support to alumni organizing regional events (i.e., 4th Thursdays, regional alumni dinners, etc.).
- Provide support to alumni inquiries related to alumni events and online community.
- Must be able to occasionally travel and work some evenings and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or combination of experience and education is required; Master’s degree is a plus.
- At least two years experience in event planning and/or coordination
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Must be highly organized, with an emphasis on details and accuracy
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under deadlines with competing priorities
- Ability to articulate the mission of Cal Maritime
- Ability to effectively work with a wide range of individuals and constituencies at senior levels
- Ability to work with, and be successful within, a complex, multi-cultural community
- Ability to motivate volunteers and potential donors
- Ability to recognize and maintain the integrity of confidential information
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner
- Ability to provide lead work direction to a student worker or intern
- Advanced level of knowledge of word processing, including Word and Excel spreadsheets, along with a variety of database software packages
- Experience in higher education, fundraising, and/or alumni affairs is preferred.
$3469 - $5201 per month. Budgeted at up to $3750 per month.
Interested parties may submit a current resume and cover letter to:
email@example.com (reference E24 in the subject line) or mail to:
Human Resources Office, Job Bulletin E24
California Maritime Academy
200 Maritime Academy Drive
Vallejo, CA 94590
Based upon a review of the resume and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified of interview appointments by telephone. Additional information about the California Maritime Academy and job openings can be found at www.csum.edu
The California Maritime Academy offers a broad range of benefits for qualifying positions including medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), life insurance, fee waiver, vacation and sick leave. Permanent status is obtained after the successful completion of a one-year probationary period.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK:
Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
The California Maritime Academy is committed to a diverse work force and is an equal opportunity employer.