Posted on February 27, 2013
Vice President of Public Affairs
Planned Parenthood of New York City
Planned Parenthood of New York City - Vice President of Public Affairs
Since 1916, Planned Parenthood of New York City (PPNYC) has been an advocate for and provider of reproductive health services and education for New Yorkers. Serving nearly 50,000 clients annually, PPNYC’s health care centers in Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx and Staten Island offer reproductive health services, including gynecological care, contraception, pregnancy testing, abortion, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, and HIV testing and counseling. Through a threefold mission of clinical services, education, and advocacy, PPNYC brings better health and more fulfilling lives to each new generation of New Yorkers. As a voice for reproductive freedom, PPNYC’s ultimate goal is to support legislation and policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPNYC is seeking a Vice President of Public Affairs to lead PPNYC’s policy development, community building, communications and advocacy efforts. In addition, the VP will provide strategic leadership and staff support for the PPNYC Action fund, which provides public education advocacy and electoral work to promote reproductive health and education. The position will report directly to the President and CEO, work in close collaboration with PPNYC’s Board and fellow Executive Staff, as well as supervise the department’s senior staff in Government Relations, Communications and Community Building. The Vice President of Public Affairs will map the direction and focus of PPNYC’s legislative agenda that will influence New York’s City and State reproductive health and reproductive justice policies and support the work of the agency. In addition, he or she will oversee the development of cutting edge communications strategies that will better enable PPNYC
to engage public officials, the media and the public at large in understanding and acting upon issues that impact an individual’s ability to make responsible, private reproductive health decisions.
The VP must possess a strong commitment to PPNYC’s mission and demonstrate capacity to affect public healthcare policy. He or she must be a credible and motivational spokesperson on developments in reproductive justice and sexual health. He or she should possess an up-to-date grasp of equity and reproductive justice issues, and the proactive vision to implement effective public policy advocacy. The VP must have a calm, focused and effective response to crisis and must thrive in a high-pressure environment. He or she must be a hands-on manager able to work collaboratively to promote a respectful and inclusive environment that emphasizes cooperation and teamwork with a minimum of ego. In addition, he or she must be respectful of the perspectives of others and possess sound judgment as well as a sense of humor.
- Develop and prioritize policy and communications agenda in collaboration with PPNYC leaders.
- Oversee activities of PPNYC’s c4 and define an advocacy and electoral agenda for the Action fund.
- Monitor and analyze New York City and New York State legislative activities regarding issues related to reproductive health and reproductive justice.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with city, state and federal legislators and policymakers in New York City, Albany, and Washington DC.
- Establish a reproductive justice framework for public education, legislation and media to guide and support an advocacy agenda.
- Market and promote PPNYC’s clinical and educational programs to its target populations.
- Coordinate public affairs functions with education, clinical services and international efforts.
- Conduct research and write public and private funding proposals for program and capital support, as well as testimony, legislative proposals, and policy papers for the use of PPNYC, policymakers, media and the public.
- Represent PPNYC in meetings with and presentations to policymakers and others.
- Develop and implement grasstops and grassroots advocacy programs for coalitions of allied organizations, and build and manage public participation therein.
- Monitor policy priorities and collaborate with other city, state and national efforts when appropriate.
- Set the overall communications strategy including traditional media and social media, message development, and marketing.
- Develop systems to empower Board members and other volunteers, activists, and staff to be effective advocates for PPNYC.
- Provide primary support to the Issues and Advocacy Committee and ad hoc committees of the board, working closely with the Board leadership and CEO. Develop and manage the Public Affairs budget and perform other duties as required.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, and Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Min. eight years legislative or similar experience. Knowledge of NYS and/or NYC government is strongly preferred.
- Excellent track record in policy development, political advocacy, lobbying or the media.
- Exceptional writing and verbal skills and high attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and a strong team ethic.
- Able to work some nights and weekends as required.
For more information about Planned Parenthood of NYC visit their website at www.plannedparenthood.org/nyc/.
Planned Parenthood of NYC has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Debbie Farrell Nelson, Practice Leader, Development and Communications
Harris Rand Lusk
261 Madison Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10016