Posted on June 28, 2012
Instructional Consultant, Digital Learning (Full-Time)
CFY - Instructional Consultant, Digital Learning
CFY’s Digital Learning Program is a whole school/community initiative that helps students, teachers, and families in low-income areas fully harness the power of digital learning. CFY launched the Digital Learning Program more than ten years ago, and we have continually improved the program based on our experience working with over 50,000 students, along with their parents and teachers, in more than 100 schools across the nation.
Components of the Digital Learning Program
The four components of CFY’s Digital Learning Program are all designed to drive student engagement, student self-directed learning, and academic achievement. These components are
I. Core Digital Learning Program that includes a) Training families at the school during a highly engaging Family Learning Workshop where families learn how to use digital learning activities outside of school to increase learning. CFY works with the school to support highly effective outreach strategies to families; b) Provisioning of technology resources to families in the form of a free Home Learning Center computer that is Internet-ready and loaded with educational software; c) Support for families, including 24x7 help desk in English and Spanish and a three-year zero-cost warranty for families’ Home Learning Centers; and d)Teacher Learning Workshops where the faculty learns the basics of how to integrate digital learning into their classroom.
II. Individualized Teacher Professional Development that includes in-school instructional consulting from a CFY Digital Classroom Consultant for teachers, primarily math teachers. This customized consulting helps teachers adopt blended-learning strategies within the classroom, design better differentiated instruction, extend learning beyond the classroom, and engage families in the learning process.
III. Enhanced Family Engagement beyond the Family Learning Workshop that brings families back to the school for follow-up training around digital learning and improving students’ learning outside of school.
IV. Network of School Leaders that facilitates sharing of best practices, driving new instructional approaches, and developing deeper school-home connections.
As part of the Digital Learning Program, CFY leverages its free digital learning platform, PowerMyLearning.com, funded by the Gates, Broad, and Kellogg Foundations. PowerMyLearning offers more than 1,000 of the best digital learning activities from all over the web tagged by subject, grade, and the Common Core. The innovative features found on PowerMyLearning enable educators to use these activities to meet the specific learning needs of their students and to help students and families discover fun and engaging activities that reinforce classroom learning and spark new areas of interest.
To extend the impact of its work even further, CFY operates an Affiliate Network of over 30 organizations in more than 20 states and the District of Columbia.
The Instructional Consultant, Digital Learning will be the lead in implementing CFY’s whole school partnerships in two Department of Education middle schools and will collaborate on the development of the whole school program. This emerging and exciting program is designed to help teachers and school leaders integrate dynamic digital learning practices into their classrooms and to increase their school’s connection with their family community.
The CFY Instructional Consultant will work with a cohort of teachers with an emphasis on middle school math instruction. The consultant will train and support teachers in implementing blended learning strategies and incorporating digital learning activities in their daily instruction. This continuous and practice-embedded consulting relationship builds teacher capacity to engage students in the classroom through dynamic and interactive lessons. CFY’s online learning platform, PowerMyLearning.com, is one tool of many digital learning resources that can be incorporated into the lesson cycle.
The consultant will additionally collaborate with CFY’s National and New York City staff in developing the program and teacher portal on CFY’s online learning platform utilizing lessons learned from working with our partner schools. The consultant’s primary place of work will be within CFY’s partner middle schools, with the secondary site being the CFY-New York City office. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Instructional Design.
Lead CFY Program to Yield Outstanding Results
Partner with administrators and teachers to develop goals and plans to increase student achievement aligned with CFY Digital Learning Program goals
Lead teacher professional development sessions and facilitate teacher team meetings on incorporating digital learning in classroom instruction
Provide guided support to teachers as they explore different ways they can leverage the classroom implementation of blended learning strategies (demonstration teaching, classroom observation, feedback discussions, etc.)
Independently develop lesson plans and homework assignments that incorporate CFY's online learning platform in order to improve student engagement, increase self-directed learning, and extend learning into the home
Support implementation of Common Core Learning Standards using blended learning strategies within classrooms
Develop “digital playlists,” selecting and sequencing groups of individual digital learning activities and source additional digital learning activities based on teacher needs
Collect data and evidence of progress toward implementation of blended learning
Support the implementation of the other components of the Digital Learning Program at partner schools
Provide CFY-National staff with feedback and recommended improvements for CFY's Digital Learning Program based on personal experience and feedback from school teachers and administration
Ensure a High-Performing Team
- Actively solicit positive and constructive feedback from supervisor and other team members
- Build a strong, outcomes-focused performance culture within the team
- Contribute positively to the development of CFY’s coaching model
- Work collaboratively with other team members to achieve overall team goals
- Manage up by being proactive and keeping supervisor informed of changing priorities
- Gather and accurately report program data for local and national sustainability and reporting efforts
- Leverage relationships with schools and school district staff for visits from potential partner organizations and funders
- In conjunction with NYC leadership, help prepare for and attend meetings with current and potential funders as needed
- Cultivate school-based CFY champions who are passionate about the program and excited to help the organization further its mission
- Understand and communicate the mission and theory of change to staff, clients, funders and other stakeholders
Other duties as necessary, including attendance at Saturday program events as needed during the school year (approximately 2-3 times) with comp time to be used the following week.
- Passion for CFY’s mission
- At least two years of experience as a K-12 classroom teacher in a public school, ideally in middle-school
- Experience working with youth and low-income communities
- Experience writing or developing lesson plans and curriculum
- Experience overseeing or leading professional development
- Demonstrated experience leading presentations and/or training sessions
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal oversight
- Capacity to thrive under pressure while working on multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility when priorities change
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Master's degree in Education or related field
- Teaching certification
- Experience working with an English Language Learner population
- Experience working with LAUSD
- Experience with professional development in education
- Experience leveraging digital learning in instruction
- Experience teaching Math and Special Education
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be highly competitive and commensurate with experience. CFY also offers a generous benefits package.
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, to email@example.com using the following conventions:
Subject line: Instructional Consultant: Digital Learning NYC Search
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CFY is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.