Posted on November 30, 2011
Center for Sexual and Reproductive Health Promotion (CSRHP) Director
ETR Associates - Center for Sexual and Reproductive Health Promotion (CSRHP) Director
ETR Associates, a private, non-profit, health education organization, is seeking a qualified person to join its Center for Sexual and Reproductive Health Promotion as Director.
Education, Training and Research (ETR) Associates is a national center for publications, training, research and clearinghouse services in family life, and comprehensive health education, substance abuse prevention, HIV/AIDS prevention and tobacco use education and prevention. ETR’s publishing division publishes and distributes curricula, books and pamphlets in these areas for schools, clinics and youth-serving organizations across the country.
Reporting to the Vice President of Program Services, the Director of the CSRHP is responsible for programmatic leadership and management of the Center including adequate staffing and oversight, development and monitoring of the Center’s budget, leadership in resource development planning and program implementation, overseeing program implementation, identifying/ implementing/ monitoring adherence to policies and business practices, and collaborating with/providing expertise to the management team of the Program Services Division and ETR. This role includes overall management and support of the CSRHP, facilitating requests of other units of ETR, representing the Center at division and agency level meetings, and conducting, and implementing strategic planning for the CSRHP as well as monitoring progress.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
As a member of the Program Services Division Senior Management team, the Director of the CSRHP will be responsible for:
- Planning, executing, and reporting on the Center’s components of the Program Services Strategic Plan and contributing to the advancement of the division’s strategic goals.
- Providing input on agency and division policies, business practices, proposals and projects.
- Identifying, enabling and promoting opportunities for collaboration and potential synergies across departments, divisions, and centers.
- Leading the Center’s resource development activities
- Promoting and coordinating collaboration when possible of CSRHP activities with Research Department, other PS Centers and Publishing.
- Facilitating and collaborating on division or agency wide resource development activities.
- Represents and advocates for the CSRHP at Division, Agency and ETR Board of Directors meetings as appropriate.
- Contributes positively to the morale, cohesiveness and productivity of the Agency, Program Services Division, and the CSRHP.
Within the CSRHP, the Director:
- Is responsible for smooth Center-level operations and overall management of the CSRHP. This includes convening center meetings, overseeing the development and/or implementation of administrative and organizational systems required to operate the Center, keeping staff informed of division and agency-wide issues, convening staff meetings, and developing and/or implementing administrative and organizational systems required to operate the CSRHP such as coverage report and monthly center budget review.
- Establishes and fosters relationships with the Center’s significant funders to promote ETR and identify future work.
- Assumes final authority and oversight in all Center personnel issues and adherence to recruitment procedures by working with PS Administration and HR including managing salary spread and coverage.
- Stays informed of problematic funder relationships and works with staff to implement solutions to expediently resolve issues.
- Promotes Center’s work outside of the agency by utilizing different methods of communication, for example, website, brochures, and presentations at state and national conferences and meetings.
- Organizes and chairs advisory group of stakeholders for the CSRHP when appropriate.
- Provides financial oversight of the Center’s budget.
- Provides oversight of the Center’s staff adherence to ETR’s budget policies including timely and accurate completion of requested documentation from Accounting and agency managers.
- Sets standards, and manages and promotes professional growth of staff, especially senior Center staff.
- Serves as a liaison between the CSRHP and the rest of the agency (e.g. Operations, HR).
- Contributes to the development of promotion guidelines based on performance and core skill sets for the CSRHP.
- Supports and helps to foster the positive work environment within the CSRHP, Program Services Division and Agency.
- Participates in ETR groups at the Agency and Division levels, for example, the Agency IT group, Agency Managers meeting.
- Is an active member of Program Services’ Directors Management Team.
- Is responsible for the development, implementation, and monitoring of the CSRHP’s component(s) of the Program Services Strategic Plan.
- Is responsible for leading resource development, including: promoting and tracking discussions and conceptual direction of new areas and/or projects for the CSRHP; in coordination with the PS Business Director and the PS Director identify new projects; proactively connecting with existing and potential funders to promote and expand the Center’s work and ensure stable and growing funding for the CSRHP.
- Works with PS Business Development staff to implement an effective proposal development process that takes advantage of various skill sets among the CSRHP’s staff and identifies and grows skills of other staff.
- Represents ETR at state and national meetings, makes presentations when requested and cultivates relationships.
- Represents the CSRHP at ETR Board meetings, as appropriate.
- Maintains effective working relationships with supervisors, staff and colleagues. Foster positive climate and high staff morale.
- Assists the CEO, VP of Program Services, and the VP of Business Development as needed.
- Works with the Division leadership to keep the CSRHP information current on the ETR website.
- Keeps current on topics related to the work of the CSRHP.
- May serve as Project Director and/or other senior lead (e.g., Co-Director) on selected projects, assuming primary responsibility for the design and implementation of the project activities, report writing and other professional activities, e.g. peer reviewed manuscripts.
- Builds and cultivates relationships to promote own area of work.
- Contributes effectively to the management of the Program Services Division through his/her decisions and communication.
- Responds to requests from the Program Services executive team and CEO in a timely manner.
- Establishes and grows the Center’s reputation for its expertise in the Center’s mission.
- Establishes and maintains diverse funding sources for the Center’s projects and core activities as well as initiatives for strategic growth.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and adherence to Program Services Division and Agency policies and procedures, including budget and accounting, within the CSRHP.
- Develops a quality strategic plan and implementation plan for the CSRHP which contains key strategic goals.
- Provides effective management and leadership to the CSRHP in order to meet the Center’s goals of the Strategic Plan.
- Completes tasks successfully and within specified deadlines, e.g., preparation and presentation of reports.
- Reviews and approves timesheets and helps staff address timesheet errors in an accurate and timely manner.
- Establishes and fosters positive relationships with key funders of the CSRHP to promote ETR and identify future work, e.g., regular visits and conversations.
- Maintains effective and respectful communication and relationships with ETR management, peers and Center staff.
- Successfully mentors and supervises staff, including fostering staff development.
- Stays informed of problematic relationship with funders and implements solutions to expediently resolved issues.
- Ensures that Center projects meets funder’s expectations in terms of quality of work and management of projects.
- Ensures Center senior staff understand grant/contract requirements for projects.
- Establishes management policies and procedures that foster a positive work environment within the CSRHP, Program Service Division and Agency.
- Handles a variety of tasks concurrently and effectively, and adapts to changing needs.
- Uses discretion and maintains confidentiality related to staff, center/department, division and agency matters.
- Prepares written materials for Center activities (e.g., correspondence, project protocols) that are clear and well written.
- Successfully promote the CSRHP’s work and findings, as well as their own work if applicable, at state and national conferences and meetings.
- If applicable, prepares manuscripts and has them accepted for publication.
- Assumes an active role in resource development by identifying and recommending new projects, is lead or part of team in developing new funding proposals that are timely, well-organized, well-conceptualized and clearly written, plays lead role in communication with potential and existing funders.
- Ensures budgets within the CSRHP’s projects operate within budget parameters minimizing over-expenditures and extreme under-expenditures; this includes CSRHP’s budget.
- Participates actively in agency strategic planning and resource development.
- Functions as an effective member of the CSRHP and Program Services Division.
- Informs VP of Program Services in a timely manner of success and problematic issues with Center’s projects, and responds to requests from the VP in a timely manner.
- Ensures that program, reporting and financial requirements of project funders and ETR are completely and accurately met per established timelines. Collaborates with the VP of Program Services’ and the VP of Business Development to negotiate contracts within Agency/Program Services guidelines.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in fields such as public health, education, mass communications, public administration.
- Ten or more years’ experience in project management and managing professional staff.
- At least five years’ experience in contract/grants management, including researching and writing funding proposals, developing work plans and budgets, negotiating and acting as liaison with funders, interpreting contract/grant requirements to project staff and ensuring that these requirements are met.
- Track record of competitive contract and grant research projects.
- Familiar with various health program areas applicable to the work of the CSRHP and Program Services Division.
- Ability to assess appropriate levels of staffing for project activities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the workings of state and federally funded projects.
- Experience in preparing reports, budgets, and work plans.
- Ability to communicate and present ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
- Excellent organizational, writing, verbal, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to manage several tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to adapt to timeline adjustments and reorganize work accordingly.
- Responsible and able to follow through on all tasks with little or no oversight.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information and records with tact and discretion.
- Ability to manage and mentor junior staff successfully.
- Creative and flexible.
- Computer literate and inclined with knowledge and use of PC software, spreadsheet, Microsoft Office Suites, internet and web searches.
- Able and willing to travel.
- Valid California driver’s license; acceptable DMV record and proof of insurance required.
Salary: Salary commensurate with the individual's experience. Full time. Grade level 6-24. Exempt.
ETR Associates offers excellent fringe benefits including employer paid life, disability, health, dental and vision insurance, generous personal time off and eleven paid holidays; in addition, ETR sponsors a 401(k) retirement benefit to qualified employees.
Deadline: Open until filled
Application: Please submit cover letter, resume and salary history to: T. Sanders, Human Resources Department, ETR Associates, 4 Carbonero Way, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. E-mail: email@example.com. Fax: 831-461-9534
ETR Associates is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Minority applicants are encouraged to apply.