Posted on February 14, 2013
Prospect Research and Database Associate
Aperture Foundation - Prospect Research and Database Associate
Aperture is a not-for-profit foundation, connecting the photo community and its
audiences with the most inspiring work, with the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in
print, in person, and online.
Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement
of photography,” Aperture today is a multiplatform publisher and center for the photo
community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of
photography projects, locally and internationally. The Foundation offers public programs
including lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and conferences that contribute to and
expand the dialogue on photography’s role in our society as well as outreach education
for children and teens building visual literacy and aimed to engage diverse new
Aperture is seeking a Prospect Research and Database Associate to identify individuals,
corporations, foundations, and government agencies with the capacity to make major
gifts and grants to support Aperture’s programs and to be responsible for the
comprehensive management of the donor database (DonorPerfect).
This is an exciting opportunity to drive the growth of an entrepreneurial non‐profit by:
- conducting online and print research to identify and rank new prospects using internal
- and external data sources, prepare documentation, and provide detailed briefings. The
- Associate will also improve the efficacy of development department campaigns and
- integrity of records by maximizing the potential of the Foundation’s donor database.
This position will report to the Director of Development.
- Research high net worth donor prospects and gather information regarding their philanthropic interests, giving capacity, etc.
- Examine public records about estates and trusts
- Identify sources of corporate and foundation support to match program initiatives
- Synthesize information gleaned during research into biographical profiles and research reports
- Search for new prospects by scanning the internet, newspapers, and journals for successful organizations and individuals who may have interests which align with Aperture Foundation’s programs
- Update and maintain non-gift information on prospects and donors in Donor Perfect
- Remain current and fully informed on prospect research trends and available resources in the field
- Maintain DonorPerfect database integrity and accuracy. Assist with preparation of donor/prospect profiles.
- Run donor reports as assigned. Work with development and accounting staff and interns to ensure consistency between the donor and accounting systems.
- Serve as primary contact for database troubleshooting and maintenance
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of prospect research with 3+ years of experience
- Superior research and writing skills
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to analyze and interpret business and financial data and information
- Attention to detail, organization, time-management and prioritization skills and the ability to work independently with little supervision
- Exceptional database experience with DonorPerfect or similar donor databases
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Commitment to team collaboration with strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Passion for Aperture’s mission
- Knowledge of photography preferable
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and
experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and
how you heard about this opportunity, to email@example.com, using the following
Subject line: Prospect Research and Database Associate
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer