Posted on September 25, 2012
ACLU of Nevada
ACLU of Nevada - Administrative Assistant
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Nevada seeks a detail-oriented and energetic individual to serve as a part-time (20 hours/week) Administrative Assistant. This person will function as the office manager for the organization’s Reno Office and will work under the supervision of the organization’s Legislative & Advocacy Director.
The ACLU is the state’s largest and most active civil rights/civil liberties organization, with offices in both Las Vegas and Reno. Our work includes the defense of individual rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights through litigation, legislation, and public education. To learn more about us, visit www.aclunv.org.
- Software fluency in Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Computer literacy, including word processing, electronic communications, data entry, internal research, and mail merges. Familiarity with servers and data networks helpful.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and friendly attitude.
- Prior nonprofit experience, a passion for civil rights issues, and Spanish-language skills all a plus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- General Administration: answering phones, checking voicemail, and passing messages to appropriate staff; copying, faxing, and scanning documents; greeting office visitors and explaining ACLUNV procedures when necessary; maintaining the office environment; tracking office supplies and maintaining an order list; reviewing and sorting all incoming mail; preparing outgoing mail; managing periodic bulk mailings; maintaining office equipment; troubleshooting computer problems for Reno office staff.
Program Support: scheduling staff meetings and programmatic meetings; providing clerical support as needed, including proofreading of letters and public testimony; helping research proposals and issues as directed by Legislative & Advocacy Director; tracking bills and amendments during the legislative sessions; assisting in monitoring agendas and minutes, and news media coverage, of government bodies statewide.
Assist with Website and Social Media posts, under the supervision of communications staff.
Hourly rate of pay DOE. Benefits include paid vacation, paid holidays and an optional employer-matched 401K.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to Dane Claussen, Executive Director, ACLU of Nevada at email@example.com . Application review begins Friday, September 28, 2012, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.