Posted on May 14, 2013
Voter Protection Attorney
Advancement Project - Voter Protection Attorney
Advancement Project seeks a creative problem solver, strong advocate, and skilled attorney in its Washington D.C. office to join our Voter Protection Program as a Staff Attorney.
About Advancement Project:
Advancement Project is a next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization. We tackle inequity with innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in Washington, D.C. and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, policy, and technology to create workable solutions in order to achieve systemic change. Advancement Project aims to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity and democratic justice for all.
Advancement Project’s Voter Protection Program, recognized nationally as a leading program in voting rights, partners with local and national groups to eliminate legal and structural barriers to voting at the federal, state, and county levels in minority and low-income communities in select states and counties. In collaboration with over two hundred local and national racial justice, progressive, voter registration, and civic engagement partners, the program continuously expands its broad, community-based network to include additional racially diverse coalitions in its priority states. This attorney will also assist with national-level voter protection work and all staff attorneys may be asked to work in other project areas to meet the needs of the organization.
Qualifications: Candidate must have:
Salary is based on experience; benefits included.
- State bar membership (must be member of or able to waive into DC Bar);
- Three to seven years’ legal experience, including significant litigation experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice;
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills;
- Interest in working with grassroots organizations;
- Willingness to travel;
- Willingness to work in other program areas, as needed.
- Fluency in Spanish, organizing experience, litigation experience, and coalition-building experiences are pluses.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and a list of three references to the attention of Glendale Clarkson, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Reference “VPP Staff Attorney” in the subject line.
Application deadline: Applications accepted until position filled.