Posted on November 14, 2012
Program Data Specialist
CFY - Program Data Specialist
CFY is a national education nonprofit that helps students in low-income communities, together with their teachers and families, harness the power of digital learning to improve educational outcomes. CFY pursues this mission through two distinct programs: our on-the-ground direct service initiative, the CFY Digital Learning Program, and our groundbreaking K-12 learning platform, PowerMyLearning.com
CFY’s Digital Learning Program, conducted in partnership with low-income public schools, is designed to improve student engagement, student self-directed learning, and academic achievement through the following components:
- Support for school leaders in driving new instructional approaches and developing deeper school-home connections.
- Professional development for educators, consisting of hands-on workshops, in-school coaching, and online tools, to help them to adopt blended learning strategies within the classroom, extend learning beyond the classroom, and engage families in the learning process.
- Innovative Family Learning Workshops in which families and children learn together about a wide range of digital learning activities and experience a learning partnership model that they can continue in the home.
- Home technology support for families, consisting of a home learning center (a refurbished home computer loaded with educational software) that is the family’s to keep, free online subscriptions to additional educational software, 24×7 bilingual help desk support, and information about affordable broadband options (including special broadband discounts where available)
CFY’s PowerMyLearning platform, funded by the Gates, Broad, and Kellogg Foundations, drives effective digital learning for students of all ages and backgrounds regardless of location. PowerMyLearning includes:
- Extensive activities, consisting of a rapidly growing set of more than 1,000 of the best digital learning activities from all over the web tagged by subject, grade, the Common Core, and other attributes
- Innovative features for educators including the ability to adapt, create, and assign customized playlists appropriate to individual students’ unique learning styles
- Engaging interface for students to discover fun and engaging activities that reinforce classroom learning and spark new areas of interest
- Parent features to help parents engage directly in the learning process with their children
CFY launched the Digital Learning Program more than ten years ago, and we have continually improved the program based on our experience working with over 50,000 students, along with their parents and teachers, in more than 100 schools across the nation. To date, CFY-Atlanta has directly served more than 5,000 families from 13 schools within the metro-Atlanta area, and has demonstrated significant impact on student achievement, student engagement, parental confidence, and broadband adoption. CFY-Atlanta serves approximately1,250 new families and over 130 Teachers each academic year.
The Program Data Specialist will play a key role in supporting CFY-Atlanta’s Digital Learning Program’s program-related data collection, management, analysis, and reporting. This candidate will also provide strategic and implementation support for two research projects, working closely with local staff and the National Director of Research, to evaluate the impact of enhanced program services at two of CFY-Atlanta’ partner schools. The successful candidate will be able to interface with a wide variety of internal and external constituents, as well as have a strong grasp of data, databases and research principals.
The Program Data Specialist will report to CFY-Atlanta’s Director of Programs, and collaborate with the Manager of Instructional Design.
Digital Learning Program Data Management
- Prepare the paperwork and manage the processes related to data gathering, data cleansing, and data management required for Family Learning Workshop (FLW) outreach and registration (student roster, registration forms, workshop data sheet and call team data management).
- Coordinate and manage contract and survey paperwork for FLWs in conjunction with Program Managers, including document creation using Word and Excel, scanning and filing documents, managing and packing supplies
- Enter student attendance and other critical information into CFY database systems; manage and ensure fidelity of after-workshop contract and survey forms and data upload in conjunction with National data team
- Run detailed reports from data to inform Program and Development staff, including school demographic data, parent survey data, broadband adoption, and PowerMyLearning registration and usage information.
- Provide input as needed to the National team to inform ongoing report development effort.
- Collect and review family data around broadband adoption to inform plans to increase adoption rates, including the implementation of phone surveys to collect accurate data
- Other data projects as needed for Program and Development
Digital Learning Program Research Projects:
- Provide data support as described for Digital Learning Program (above)
- Perform all administrative duties related to research data collection and input, including consent forms, surveys, and other data sources required for the research projects. Ensure timeliness, accuracy and completeness of data collected.
- Work with appropriate District data departments to collect student achievement data and transform into an appropriate format
- Help to maintain high quality working relationships with CFY’s school research partners
- Present data in charts, graphs and tables to be shared with various stakeholders.
General Program Responsibilities:
- Participate in CFY-Atlanta weekly program meetings, staff meetings, off-site trainings
- Attend Saturday Family Learning Workshops to assist with registration and other data related duties
- Work collaboratively with other team members to achieve overall team goals
- Contribute new ideas regarding CFY's program
- Understand and communicate the mission to staff, clients, donors, and other stakeholders
- Passion for CFY’s mission
- Expertise with Microsoft Excel and database concepts a must; adept with Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint. Familiarity with Salesforce a plus.
- A Bachelors degree or higher; preferably in psychology, sociology, economics, social work, anthropology, social policy analysis, or another quantitative social science research-related discipline
- Familiarity with statistical concepts and analysis
Self-motivated, with ability to work independently with minimal oversight, multi-task, and thrive under pressure and on a deadline
Ability to work well as a member of a team
Excellent organizational, time-management and prioritization skills; capacity to simultaneously work on multiple tasks and projects, and the ability to set priorities
Strong verbal and written communication skills
Demonstrated flexibility when priorities change
Ability to manage through influence
Experience with qualitative methods (focus groups)
Familiarity with research regarding the home learning environment and/or with digital learning preferred
Experience working with public schools and/or districts
Experience working with low-income communities
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be highly competitive and commensurate with experience. CFY also offers medical and dental insurance with an employee contribution.
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org using the following conventions:
Subject line: CFY-Atlanta Program Data Specialist
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CFY is an Equal Opportunity Employer