Posted on March 12, 2013
Concern Worldwide - Foundations Manager
Concern Worldwide is an international humanitarian organization committed to the relief, assistance and advancement of the poorest people in the least developed countries of the world. Founded in Ireland in 1968, Concern Worldwide has 3,500 personnel working in 25 countries across the globe.
Concern believes in a world where no one lives in fear; where all have access to a decent standard of living and the opportunities essential to a long, healthy and creative life. Our mission is to help people living in absolute poverty achieve major improvements in their lives, improvements that are sustainable without ongoing support from Concern.
Concern Worldwide US is an independent affiliate of Concern Worldwide, with offices in New York and Chicago. Our mission is to support the work of Concern Worldwide by financially supporting programs, representing Concern with national/international co-funders and organizations, facilitating the recruitment of personnel and raising the organization's profile. Concern Worldwide US also engages in development education programs with the general public and with high schools in the US.
Based in New York, and reporting to the Development Director, the Foundation Manager will be responsible for achieving the goals set out in our strategic plan while managing the work of two Foundation Officers. This includes planning and implementing a strategy of donor prospecting, solicitation, cultivation and stewardship in cooperation with colleagues in New York and Chicago. S/he will work closely with the Development Director, Fundraising Manager and Senior Management Team to further develop relationships with Corporations and Foundations.
Donor Prospecting and Solicitation
- Manage unsolicited written and verbal inquiries to and from existing and prospective funders to diversity funding base
- Develop and deliver presentations to potential funders, with support from the management and fundraising teams
- Manage all aspects of letters of inquiry, proposal development, narrative and financial reports by working with foundation team, and colleagues in the field, Dublin, New York and Chicago.
- Build and maintain relationships with the philanthropic community, donors and peers through networking opportunities
- Build a structure to research, identify and cultivate both existing and new potential corporate and foundation partnerships
- Produce quarterly analysis and progress reports for the Senior Management team and Board of Directors
- Work with development colleagues on ways to diversity funding from corporations and foundations
Contracts and Relationship Management
- Review and approve the development and submission of concept papers, project proposals (both narrative and financial) to diverse potential funders
- Ensure grant submissions and all reporting meets corporate and foundation guidelines and deadlines
- Finalize negotiations with external donor contacts and agreements
- Ensure compliance with reporting requirements, including budgets and financial reports
- Manage relationships with Foundations and Corporations to ensure donors are adequately engaged with the project being funded and with the organization
- Ensure good working relationships exist between Concern Worldwide in Ireland (Concern US implementing partner), colleagues in the field, and members of the Concern US foundations team
Management, Administration, Oversight
- Manage the work of two foundation officers
- Develop guidelines, templates and sub-grant management processes
- Develop a grants and contracts tracking system for foundations and corporations
- Document all significant contacts with current or potential donors to share with development team
- Provide monthly reports to management and other reports required by the Board of Directors
- Ensure there are good communications systems in place to share programmatic developments from the field with Concern US personnel, donors and board members
- Work closely with the Donor Care Unit to ensure strong donor support systems are in place for foundations
- Perform general management duties for the foundations team including the development of annual plans, budgets, reports and evaluations and the production of monthly reports for the Management team
- 4-year college degree required
- Strong understanding of the US philanthropic sector, international experience preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience with a strong focus on fundraising and communications, program development experience a plus
- Demonstrated track record in securing and managing substantial grant portfolios with diverse funders
- Proven ability to write clear, structured, articulate proposals and reports, including financial elements. Ability to review and edit documents developed at field level is crucial
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal and external relationships
- Willingness to travel as position demands
- A commitment to the work and values of Concern
- The ability to handle multiple and often competing deadlines under pressure
- Flexibility in work hours is critical to meet the changing needs of this position
Interested candidates must be authorized and eligible to work in the US. All eligible candidates should submit the following two documents to email@example.com.
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and current salary including where you saw the position advertised
Please reference your email application with subject title: Foundations Manager 2013.
While we do appreciate your interest in the organization, due to the volume of applications received, only candidates who are short-listed for the first round interview will be notified. Final candidates will be required to successfully pass a background check.
No phone calls please. Concern Worldwide US is an Equal Opportunity Employer