Posted on December 13, 2012
Director of Communications and Development
Chhaya CDC - Director of Communications and Development
Chhaya is seeking a dynamic Director of Communications and Development to join its leadership team. Primary responsibilities include bolstering Chhaya’s fundraising and communications capacity; working with senior staff to develop concepts for new programs and organization’s strategic direction; development of written proposals highlighting the organization’s accomplishments, and future ambitions; as well as reporting to individual and institutional donors on the organization’s successes, programmatic work, and new initiatives.
Chhaya Community Development Corporation is a non-profit organization focused on improving access to housing opportunities, resources, and information for South Asian Americans throughout New York City and the metropolitan area. South Asians—immigrants from the regions of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and diasporas from areas such as the Caribbean—are New York City’s second-largest Asian community. Based in the borough of Queens, Chhaya provides services, conducts education, and organizing in key housing areas including tenant rights, homeownership, housing discrimination, predatory lending, and foreclosure prevention.
- Research and solicit new sources of public, foundation, and corporate donors to support existing programs and launch new initiatives;
- Develop and implement a strategy to build-up organizations individual donor program; including overseeing fundraising events;
- Manage relationships and ongoing communication with existing donors and supporters; as well as management and development of proposals and reports to public and private donors;
- Bolster the organizations communications with its constituents through email, website management, social media, community and ethnic media strategies, multi-lingual collateral materials and grassroots outreach;
- Support the organizations advocacy and policy work through media strategies and communications with agency partners, elected officials, and public agencies;
- Supervision of communications staff and grant writing consultant to administer communications work, including media work, community partnerships, organizational constituent, and database management;
- Assist Executive Director with other special projects, as necessary.
- Experience with grant writing, fundraising and funder management;
- Extremely well organized and detail-oriented;
- Experience and ability to manage priorities and juggle multiple demands;
- Multilingual skills in Bangla, Hindi, Nepali, Punjabi or Urdu a plus;
- Master’s degree preferred; Bachelor’s degree with substantial experience will be considered;
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills;
- Strong writing and editing skills;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Strategic and creative in approaches to fundraising.
Values and Perspectives:
- Commitment to immigrant and housing rights;
- Interest in housing, immigrant rights and social justice issues;
- Comfort in working in diverse, multicultural and immigrant communities;
- Belief in supporting the growth of peers and collaborative learning;
- Respectful and supportive of multi-ethnic, multi-faith, and multilingual organization.
Note: Some weekend and evening hours may be required, and compensated for with flexible hours.
Reports to: Chhaya’s Executive Director
Salary: Competitive salary plus excellent benefits including, medical and dental benefits, 403b option with a company match, TransitChek and generous vacation and holidays.
To Apply: Send a resume, a thoughtful cover letter, a brief original writing sample, and list of references to email@example.com with Director of Development and Communications in the subject line. For more information on Chhaya, please visit our website: www.chhayacdc.org.
No phone calls please. Chhaya CDC is an equal opportunity employer.