Posted on August 10, 2012
Director of Development
Diaspora Community Services
Diaspora Community Services - Director of Development
Diaspora Community Services (DCS) is a well-established nonprofit organization committed to advancing human rights, gender equality, and health-care access for low-income and immigrant families in Brooklyn and Port-au-Prince, Haiti. As the organization enters its third decade of service, we have exciting new opportunities to expand our domestic and international programs, and are seeking an experienced fundraising professional to help us reach new heights.
The Director of Development will work with DCS’s Executive Director and leadership team to develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy to expand support from public and private sources. S/he will be responsible for building the organization’s internal fundraising capacity and leveraging key relationships and contacts to ensure DCS is well positioned to meet its revenue and programmatic goals.
- Lead the creation and implementation of annual development plan and strategy
- Lead and manage annual development efforts to expand private funding for domestic and international programs (target: 1 Million dollars over the next three years)
- Work with Executive Director and Board Chair to develop the Board’s fundraising capacity and engage them in the fundraising process.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential government, corporate & foundation grant makers.
- Develop and grow the DCS individual donor base; manage annual giving campaign; and cultivate major gifts.
- Assist in the development and execution of organization-wide events. This includes helping secure business and corporate sponsorships and engaging corporate volunteers in ongoing service opportunities.
- Coordinate the grant proposal writing and reporting process for the organization. This includes identifying and researching corporate, foundation, and government funders, and working with program staff and consultants to develop proposals.
- Oversee the development and implementation of DCS’s marketing and public relations strategies.
- Train and lead other staff and volunteers to support fundraising, public relations and marketing efforts.
- Bachelor's degree and advanced training in fundraising and/or grantwriting
- Extensive hands-on experience in various aspects of fund development -- particularly in social/human services – with at least 3-5 years in senior management positions.
- Knowledge of the New York City and global philanthropic community
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and securing high five and six figure gifts and grants from diverse sources
- Demonstrated ability to identify, cultivate, and manage donor relations
- Superior verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and engage key staff and board members in devising resource development strategies
- High energy, positive, "can-do" attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Good computer skills and experience in managing donor tracking systems or data bases.
Please send cover letter/resume to: email@example.com. Please no telephone calls -- we will respond to those candidates whose qualifications are best aligned with the components of this job description. Thank you.
Compensation: Low to mid $70s
This is at a non-profit organization located in Central Brooklyn.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please send coverletter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org