Posted on September 30, 2012
Associate Manager, Development and External Relations
Alliance for Young Artists and Writers
Alliance for Young Artists & Writers - Associate Manager, Development and External Relation
The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, identifies teenagers with exceptional artistic and literary talent and brings their remarkable work to a national audience through The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The Awards have an impressive legacy dating back to 1923 and a noteworthy roster of past winners including Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, Richard Avedon, Robert Redford and Joyce Carol Oates. Teens in grades 7 through 12 can apply in 30 categories of art and writing for the chance to earn scholarships and have their works exhibited or published.
The Awards are an important opportunity for students to be recognized for their creative talents. Each year, the Alliance partners with more than 100 regional affiliates across the country to bring the program to local communities.
To learn more about the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers, please visit www.artandwriting.org.
Reporting to the Director of External Relations the position is responsible for managing resource development/alumni operations, supporting fundraising events and operations, and sustaining donor relationships, while also holding responsibility for logistics and marketing of a nationally travelling exhibition of student work.
- Assists in managing annual fundraised revenue targets in collaboration with development team.
- Manage prospect research and build donor profiles with a specific aim toward individual and board giving. Working with Director, integrates wealth profiling and database management to help build pool of major gift prospects.
- Manages operations and logistics from marketing materials production, list-building, mail, and email solicitations, to final reporting.
- Tracks all fundraising, advocacy, and marketing campaigns with clear strategic objectives, deliverables and metrics
- Work with cross-department team to generate online and offline solicitation campaigns. Manage and facilitate donor stewardship under the direction of the Director. Position will also manage donor database, input gifts, and send acknowledgements to donors.
- Take on a significant role in logistics and implementation of fundraising and cultivation events throughout the year, including annual gala
- Serves as a community representative for the Alliance in NYC at year-round events.
- Responsible for planning and logistics of a travelling show of winning student work as well, working with representatives of local venues and developing relationships with community resources to help build audience for program.
Experience and Core Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 or more years of related experience working in a role that includes managing complex projects and relationships, preferably in an environment serving multiple audiences
- Demonstrated ability to meet budget and revenue targets with exposure to fundraising, including annual fund or major gift campaigns.
- Proven ability to develop and manage projects, and work effectively with other staff
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and manage resources effectively
- Experience with online marketing, direct mail and cross-channel marketing in for-profit or non-profit settings, highly desirable
- Experience and comfort working with board members and donors
- Understanding of Internet tools, processes and techniques for membership development, advocacy campaigns, and list-building
- Strong fact-based analytic skills
- Focused on delivering results and meeting goals; ability to meet deadlines, often within very tight timeframes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication (online and print) and inter-personal skills
- Exceptional attention-to-detail and organizational skills; hands-on self-starter
- Knowledge and proficiency with fundraising and constituent management software highly desirable (DonorPerfect or Raiser’s Edge preferred), as well as Microsoft Office.
- Detail oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Interest in, if not experience in, Arts and Culture or Youth Development a must.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Full benefits include medical, dental and life insurance, including same-sex domestic partner coverage; 401(k) savings plan; employee discounts; and the full range of benefits available to all employees of Scholastic Inc.
Position Reports To: Director, Development & External Relations of the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com