Posted on August 22, 2012
Chief Financial Officer
Prep for Prep
Prep for Prep - Chief Financial Officer
Position Open June 2013
About Prep for Prep
Prep for Prep develops leaders from under-represented
communities through access to a superior education and life-changing
opportunities. Since 1978, Prep has identified New York City’s
most able students of color through a highly selective admissions
process and, following 14 months of rigorous academic preparation,
placed them at leading independent schools in the City and boarding
schools throughout the Northeast. Once placed, Prep offers its students
a sense of community, peer support, critical post-placement services,
and a host of leadership development opportunities through college
graduation. The results are compelling: more Prep students have
graduated from Harvard than any other institution, and more than 90% of
Prep’s 2,129 college graduates have earned degrees from the most
competitive colleges in the country. They are emerging leaders in every
field from business and law, to education and the arts, to science and
medicine. Prep shares its best practices with like-minded organizations through an initiative called
Prep’s $10 million annual operating budget is
raised each year from private sources, including from its very generous
60-member Board of Trustees. Prep has 60 full-time employees as well as
part-time school year and full-time summer faculty who teach our
Preparatory Component classes. Prep is based on the Upper West Side of
Manhattan with brownstone offices on West 71st Street and West 91st
Street. Prep also makes extensive use of rental space at Trinity School
and other schools in the vicinity.
Major Responsibilities of the Chief Financial
- Serve as CFO and general advisor to Prep for Prep, specifically to the Chief Executive.
- Manage Prep’s $10 million annual budget and administration of Prep’s $25 million Board-Designated Endowment.
- Serve on and interface with Executive Staff (eight senior managers), working closely with them to meet operational and technological requirements, address related issues, and plan for the future.
- Be responsible for organization-wide compliance and risk management and for administrative functions that collectively support the programmatic goals of Prep for Prep, overseeing the following specific areas:
- Ensure that Prep’s financial functions are run properly and effectively in accordance with internal policies and applicable regulations.
- Oversee and lead day-to-day financial operations, budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting, cash management, and administration of investments.
- Serve as financial advisor to the Board, actively participating in meetings of the Executive, Finance, and Investment Committees.
- Work closely with the Investments Committee to ensure Prep’s $25 million Board-Designated Endowment is appropriately invested and safeguarded.
- Supervise the management, support, and development of databases, websites, equipment, infrastructure, and security.
- Ensure that each department has the I.T. resources needed to fulfill Prep’s mission most effectively.
- Serve on and provide direction to two internal technology committees and staff meetings of the Board Technology Committee.
- Ensure that Prep’s physical plant, equipment, maintenance, and support staff meet the diverse needs of all departments.
- Supervise Prep’s extensive booking, scheduling, and use of multiple rented facilities.
- Maintain three brownstones and provide support for staff using rented facilities.
- Serve on the Operations Committee.
In carrying out these responsibilities the Chief
Financial Officer will:
Desired Experience and Skills
- Supervise eight full-time staff (including three direct reports).
- Develop and maintain effective communication and a close working relationship with the other seven department heads (Executive Staff).
- Work closely with key Board members on a regular basis.
- Foster among Finance and Administration staff a “customer service” mentality and an appreciation of their critical role in supporting the achievement of Prep’s programmatic goals.
- Maintain focus on keeping the program cost-effective.
- Maintain existing physical plant while monitoring external opportunities and shifts in Prep’s organizational requirements.
- Create, refine, and enhance Finance and Administration and organization-wide policies.
- Meet increasingly complex requirements for compliance monitoring and reporting.
- Identify opportunities for applying future I.T. innovations to advance Prep’s mission.
- Experience in financial management (minimum 10 years).
- Extensive supervisory experience.
- Direct or related experience in management of technology and
- operations functions.
- Experience in presenting to and working with high-level
- MBA, CPA, or equivalent experience.
- The ability to convey, in word and action, a mission-based
- commitment to excellence in all aspects of work and to nurture the same in direct reports.
- The ability to listen, hear, and empathize when issues and ideas are being considered; to develop creative, responsive solutions and strategies; and to articulate recommendations and potential outcomes to a variety of stakeholders.
- Build and maintain a close and effective relationship with the Chief Executive.
- Work collaboratively with Executive Staff to realize organization-wide goals.
- Develop positive working relationships with representatives of partner institutions.
- Conduct financial analyses for reporting, forecasting, budgeting, and planning.
- In all areas of responsibility, see the forest as well as the trees.
- In all areas of responsibility, and especially regarding Prep financials, effectively communicate with employees, Board members, and other executives.
- Clarify goals and accountabilities for team.
- Ensure well-organized and timely delivery of key reports and analyses.
- Prioritize among competing demands for the department’s time and Prep’s resources.
- Be able to identify future financial, technological,
- and operational trends/needs.
- Advise Chief Executive on future organization-wide issues and needs.
- Develop related strategies and translate them into actionable plans.
Competitive compensation package offered.
- Create climate of accountability and motivate team.
- Reinforce culture of high integrity and adherence to policies and controls.
- Develop staff to meet future needs.
- Delegate responsibilities effectively.
- Coach and develop team to work with broad spectrum of individuals.
Please send resume with cover letter to:
Director of Personnel