Posted on July 3, 2012
Advancement Project - Communications Fellow
Advancement Project is a next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization. We tackle inequity with innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in Washington, DC and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, policy and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
Advancement Project’s national office seeks a motivated and well-organized recent graduate to serve as Communications Fellow in our Washington, DC office. This fellowship will offer opportunities to gain experience in research, writing, media relations, social media and strategic communications while working closely with our talented communications professionals and civil rights attorneys.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Maintaining up-to-date databases of media contacts and inquiries.
- Reporting on results of traditional and digital media campaigns.
- Media monitoring and reporting.
- Assisting in maintenance of website and digital media channels.
- Writing and editing pieces for our website, blog and social networking sites.
- Help identify, plan, and implement new campaign strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field.
- Able to learn and work independently.
- Highly organized, savvy, flexible, forward thinking, and able to work and multitask in fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills able to work effectively with colleagues at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent proofing and editing skills.
- Experience using social media platforms such as, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube
- Demonstrated commitment to progressive social change.
- Experience with graphic design, video editing, and HTML preferred.
- Experience blogging and writing content preferred.
Please forward a cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and list of three references to:
Erika M. Maye, Communications Specialist