Posted on August 21, 2012
PR and Communications Manager
Goddard Riverside Community Center
PR and Communications Manager, Goddard Riverside Community Center
Goddard Riverside Community Center (GRCC) is seeking a PR and Communications Manager to implement the organization’s awareness-building efforts. Reporting to the Director of Development, PR and Communications Manager’ s key responsibility is to effectively communicate our mission in support of economic and social justice to the public, resulting in increased visibility for the agency. The Manager will envision, develop and implement a public relations strategy to increase visibility and broaden the donor base of the organization. The Manager will lead the planning and development of published materials and web content that engage and inspire the broader community.
The PR and Communications Manager will be responsible for supervising a PR and Communications Associate. The Manager will play a major part in a department that is expected to grow to from six to ten staff by the end of FY13, in large part due to a three year major gifts campaign to support program expansion in GRCC’s college access and youth education programming.
- Develop and lead the implementation of the public relations plan;
- Proactive development and cultivation of relationships with the media, on and off line — becoming a source for related topics around social and economic justice;
- Development of strategic outreach campaigns and organization of media events;
- Tracking of news activity and alerts; identification and development of best stories to tell. Identify newsworthy research findings from program directors and progress reports for proactive story placements and press cultivation;
- Management of wire service and news clipping vendors and review of analytics on press releases;
- Promotion of events—both fundraising and program events. Manage the development of content for print and online platforms, including print and e-newsletters, the Annual Report and other ad hoc publications, social media messaging through Twitter and Facebook;
- Maintain and update the agency website and coordinate upgrades to site functionality as needed;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge regarding relevant social and economic issues and trends;
- Suggest new tools and best practices to keep the communications and marketing efforts effective and relevant in an evolving environment—maintain strong understanding of emerging outreach vehicles, technologies and opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or a related field and at least three-five years of progressively responsible experience, preferably in a nonprofit environment;
- Minimum of three-five years' experience in:
- Coordinating mission-driven public relations efforts that increase awareness and relevance of an organization; Interfacing with and developing strong relationships with key media and press contacts; Translating complex information into crisp, clear and engaging communications; Managing complex project timelines and teams and delivering to agreed upon dates; Managing production of written communications materials in a dynamic environment; Website updating and social media messaging;
- Must be proactive, self-directed and detail-oriented with excellent organizational and project management skills. Ability to supervise staff/interns/volunteers to achieve communications goals;
- Team player: ability to collaborate with people from various backgrounds skill sets;
- Resilience, optimism and humor. Outstanding interpersonal skills with an approachable and collaborative personal style;
- Eagerness to learn — resourcefulness and initiative with a bias for action and an orientation towards measurable results;
- Commitment to social and economic justice.
- Moderate computer work;
- Attending development fundraising events;
- Occasional lifting of up to 30 lbs.
Send cover letter and resumes with salary requirements directly to Renee Colombo, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.