Posted on November 15, 2012
Senior Manager, Corporate Sponsorships
Wildlife Conservation Society
Wildlife Conservation Society - Senior Manager, Corporate Sponsorships
The Wildlife Conservation Society (“WCS”) saves wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, global conservation, education and the management of the world's largest system of urban wildlife parks. The WCS headquarters are located amidst the breathtaking scenery, animal exhibits, and Beaux-Arts architecture of its flagship Bronx Zoo, an inspiring environment from which to further WCS’s mission.
The state-of-the-art, eco-friendly Center for Global Conservation, located at the Bronx Zoo, serves as the WCS command center for conservation work worldwide. The Center is home to more than 100 conservationists, researchers, and support staff working to save wildlife and wild places through field science, program management and administration, and operations. As a conservation organization and cultural institution, WCS employs nearly 4,000 leaders in New York City and around the world in conservation science, park operations and management, veterinary care, curatorial science, animal care, education, exhibit graphics and arts, public affairs, development, marketing, human resources, information technology, and maintenance and operations. WCS’s New York outposts include the world-famous Bronx Zoo, the Central Park Zoo in Manhattan, Queens Zoo, Prospect Park Zoo, and the New York Aquarium on Coney Island.
The Wildlife Conservation Society seeks an exceptional individual to fill the role of Senior Manager, Corporate Sponsorships (SMCS). The successful candidate will be an intellectually curious, high-energy individual with a strong commitment towards the mission of WCS.
The position is a high growth opportunity to build a portfolio of WCS sponsors and cause-marketing partners for one of the world's most renowned global conservation organizations. This smart and strategic leader will raise funds to help achieve revenue goals that will reverse the plight of animals threatened in the wild as well as to help maintain the world-class position of the Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium. The SMCS will identify new potential corporate partners and develop comprehensive strategies based on research and evaluation. Reporting to the Director of Corporate Relations, s/he will work collaboratively with other WCS departments to create and implement sponsorship objectives, including the corporate partnership strategic plan, and execute and fulfill sponsorship agreements and related elements.
Specific responsibilities include:
- In collaboration with the Director of Corporate Relations and others, develop and implement the corporate sponsorship strategy.
- Lead the assessment, valuation and packaging of corporate sponsorship assets at WCS facilities, particularly the Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium.
- Develop a pipeline of new prospects through outbound solicitations; field, assess and evaluate incoming sales calls; cultivate and develop relationships with promotion and event agencies; and secure corporate partners in support of WCS’s mission.
- Manage pre-sale activity, including sales pitches, presentations, proposals, negotiations and closings for facilities, events and programmatic sponsorship as well as larger comprehensive strategic philanthropic partnerships..
- Execute post-sale activities for new sponsorships including: negotiating fees and benefits, working with the Office of General Counsel in the negotiation and execution of sponsor agreements and maintaining communication with corporate partners to keep them current on value-added opportunities and to acknowledge their payments or contributions.
- Coordinate logistics for on-site activities with events and marketing departments, as well as track results and create recap reports for all corporate partners as determined by the corporate partnership agreement.
- Take responsibility for financial reporting of sponsorship and membership activities, running queries and generating reports on sponsorship and membership activity in Raiser’s Edge.
- Maintain a solid understanding of WCS, its programs and initiatives, history and goals.
- Review corporate partnership and cause-marketing trends and identify opportunities to incorporate these trends where appropriate.
- Work collaboratively with the Special Events team to identify, solicit and secure corporate sponsors and in-kind donations for events such as the Annual Gala, Explorers Party and Dinner by the Sea.
- Work closely with Director of Corporate Relations to develop and implement a strategy for attaining revenue and promotional goals
- Create a program of meaningful volunteer opportunities for employees of corporate funders
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required and 4-6 years of experience in sponsorship sales.
- Strong negotiation and clear communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Multi-tasker who is self-motivated and goal-oriented.
- Experience with solution selling for a non-profit, cause, sports or entertainment facility.
- Both a team player and an independent leader.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office and, preferably, Raiser’s Edge (or similar fundraising database).
- Significant prospect research experience.
The Wildlife Conservation Society offers a competitive benefit package for this position including paid time off, health insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401(K) retirement savings plan and employer match, pension plan, and tuition reimbursement.
The Wildlife Conservation Society has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner
Harris Rand Lusk
261 Madison Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10016