Posted on August 7, 2012
Manager, Special Events Fundraising/Online
American Diabetes Association
American Diabetes Association - Special Events Fundraising / Online
Take Your Career On A Mission!
Are you looking for a career opportunity that directly impacts the community you live in? How about an opportunity to have a rewarding career working for the premier voluntary health organization that supports people with type 1 & type 2 diabetes?
Our employees like working at the American Diabetes Association because of our opportunities, inclusive environment, work-life balance, benefits and culture. When you join our dedicated team you will experience the gratification of knowing your work impacts the well-being of millions of people, both directly and indirectly, affected by diabetes.
Our Southeastern PA office has an exciting opportunity for an individual to join the special events team of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) within the Philadelphia market. The Manager – Special Events Fundraising and Online Engagement position will have fundraising, recruitment and overall communications responsibilities for our highest profile event, the Philadelphia Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes and will work with the entire office regarding online communications strategies. The appropriate candidate will be a self-motivated, high-energy person with demonstrated experience in identifying, recruiting and cultivating fundraising volunteers, strong communications skills and will have a track record in generating financial support online.
Specific job responsibilities would include:
- Establishing and achieving goals by working with the ADA’s Special Events Team to achieve desired outcomes regarding participant recruitment, communications and fundraising.
- Recruiting and managing new family/friends and clubs/organizational teams for Step Out and helping them achieve their maximum potential in fund-raising while building their understanding of diabetes and the ADA mission.
- Collaborating with special events team to develop and implement an annual online fundraising plan with goals and objectives to mobilize, communicate and activate current and new fundraising volunteers for area events, with a strong concentration on increasing registration and online fundraising for Step Out.
- Providing as-needed trainings and support to volunteer fundraisers for the online tools the ADA events offer participants including personalized event web pages, email centers, Facebook applications, etc.
- Providing timely and effective customer service to staff and participants seeking assistance with the online fundraising tools.
- Managing social media presence of assigned special events and area, including content posting, conversation and analysis.
- Managing events’ websites by maintaining a professional appearance and regularly updating content.
- Assisting in the recruitment of volunteer leadership, both for fundraising and logistics, for appropriate special events.
The ideal candidate will have sales or fundraising experience with strong communications capabilities and a willingness to embrace new opportunities and challenges. The position will require close attention to details, be able to manage multiple activities, and describe ADA's vision of successful events to volunteers. This position will be working with diverse volunteer groups from many employment and socio-economic backgrounds and must be able to conduct himself/herself appropriately. Previous special event fundraising experience preferred.
- Bachelors degree required or equivalent experience
- Minimum of two years of special event production with background in event preparation with demonstrated and measurable successes in each.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong organizational, detail and interpersonal skills.
- Cold-call sales experience and customer relationship building experiences are highly desirable.
- Strong presentation skills, oral and written are required, online communications and social media proficiency preferred.
- Ability to work independently, under supervision and in a team-based and goal-oriented environment.
- Familiarity with Convio/TeamRaiser or other event fundraising software preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekend hours as necessary.
- Must have own transportation and ability to travel as needed for meetings throughout the market.
- Ability to actively participate in the execution of the event; must demonstrate the ability to manage situations in a stressful environment.
- Experience in organizing, coordinating and motivating groups of staff, event participants and volunteers.
- The ability to lift 25 lbs.
When you join us, you can expect competitive salaries, comprehensive benefit programs, and a true focus on work-life balance. You can find all of this in an environment that promotes inclusion. Are you ready to take your career on a mission?
Equal Opportunity Employer
* Together We Can Stop Diabetes *
See all of our Nationwide Opportunities and apply at: