Posted on January 26, 2012
Director of Development and Communications
Phipps Community Development Corporation
Phipps Community Development Corporation - Director of Development and Communications
Phipps Community Development Corporation (Phipps CDC) is a 35-year-old multi-service nonprofit providing a comprehensive network of educational, vocational and community development programs for residents of communities across the Bronx and Manhattan.
Phipps CDC serves approximately 8,000 children, teens and adults in more than 40 programs and continues to expand. On-site and neighborhood-based social, education, and career services include: Head Start, after-school, summer camp, literacy and ESL, GED, college prep, work readiness, resident support, and family programs for children and adults. These services are funded by government grants and contributions from foundations, corporations and individuals.
Phipps CDC is the social services affiliate of Phipps Houses, New York City's oldest and largest nonprofit developer of affordable housing. The Phipps Houses mission is to create and sustain enduring communities through housing development, attentive property management, and residentially and community based human services.
The Director of Development and Communications will be responsible for creating and implementing strategies to meet revenue goals; and for the marketing, special events and public relations activities of the organization. The Director will report directly to the Executive Director/CEO and oversee all fundraising and communications activities and staff, as well as special events. The Director will primarily focus on Phipps CDC; however, he/she will also spend approximately 20% of his/her time on Marketing and Communications activities for Phipps Houses Services Inc.
- Lead the Development and Communications team (one Communications Coordinator and two Grant Writers) in designing and implementing a diversified fundraising plan to prepare the organization to meet ambitious fundraising goals for general operating support and special projects or programs. Supervision should include training team members to ensure cross-functionality among positions. While each team member will have a specialty, all should be able to step into other roles when necessary.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with funding sources and identify and initiate new opportunities to expand the foundation, corporate, and individual donor base.
- Develop effective working relationships with the Board of Directors; actively engage board leadership, board members and community volunteers in the development, training, endorsement and implementation of the annual fundraising plan.
- Oversee the preparation of high-quality and timely grant proposals, solicitations, funder reports, acknowledgements, and any other communications required to support ongoing fundraising activities. Manage donor/funder tracking programs and staff responsible for data entry.
- Plan and oversee marketing and public relations activities, promoting and expanding the visibility of the organization and managing the Phipps brand for both internal and external audiences. Create internal systems and processes to gather information from the field and share with staff.
- Oversee production of all print and virtual PR materials, including newsletters/e-newsletters, annual appeals and reports, and information packets.
- Plan and execute special events, including cultivation, recognition, construction-related functions, press conferences and the annual Community Builders Gala.
- Direct maintenance and upgrades to the Phipps Houses Group’s public website and public information communications, including social media.
- As a member of the senior management team, the Director will be expected to contribute to Phipps CDC’s overall mission and growth.
- BA in related field required; MA preferred.
- At least 7 years experience in development, communications and/or program in the non-profit field, with demonstrated success in cultivating and maintaining relationships with stakeholders and funders.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and managerial skills, ability to take initiative, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills (writing sample required).
- Knowledge of or readiness to learn Raiser’s Edge a plus.
- Commitment to education, youth development, housing and poverty issues.
- Sense of humor.
Compensation commensurate with experience; benefits are competitive.
For more information about Phipps CDC, please visit their website at http://www.phippsny.org
Phipps Community Development Corporation has retained the services of Harris Rand Lusk to conduct this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications may be directed in confidence to:
Jack Lusk, Managing Partner or
Harris Rand Lusk
261 Madison Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10016