Posted on July 6, 2012
GLSEN - Communications Assistant
Reports to: Director of Communications
Objective: The Communications Assistant provides support for all aspects of GLSEN’s Communications work, from production to social media, to media relations; and plays a vital role in ensuring brand consistency across Communication platforms.
- Monitor local, regional and national media coverage of LGBT issues in education and compile coverage of GLSEN’s work.
Provide research support for media opportunities, public education campaigns and other relevant messaging activities.
- Support Communication Department’s social media strategy, keeping GLSEN’s social media engagement current and active by regularly posting about and tracking GLSEN’s work on Facebook, Twitter and GLSEN blog.
- Monitor firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
- Assist with drafting GLSEN Public Relations materials including press releases, alerts, emails, presentations and similar assets.
- Support Public Relations Manager in building and maintaining relationships with media professionals including print, broadcast and online reporters, editors and producers.
- Organize and help Public Relations Manager maintain GLSEN media databases including spokesperson, media contact and celebrity databases.
- Support GLSEN’s online store, providing customer service and working with Communications Manager to identify merchandising opportunities.
- Work with Communications Manager and printing/merchandise vendors to create and maintain GLSEN materials and merchandise inventory.
- Organize and maintain GLSEN resource library and archive.
- Organize and maintain Communications Department’s digital files.
- Work with Communications Department staff to compile monthly tracking reports of web, social and media success.
- Assist with Communications Department projects as needed.
Provides administrative support for Communications Department operations as required.
BA/BS preferred or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of various platforms used for organization-wide communication strategies – such as social media, print media, web usage, video, press relationships.
- Excellent writing and editing skills required.
- Competency in both Mac and PC environments.
- Proficiency with social media preferred.
- Strong web-based investigative/research skills.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and requests simultaneously.
- Well organized and able to establish systems for managing department-wide work.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
GLSEN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage people of color, of diverse gender identities, women and non-LGBT persons to apply.
This position is located in GLSEN's New York City headquarters. Resume and letter of interest should be submitted to: email@example.com, or mailed to GLSEN, 90 Broad Street, 2nd Floor, New York, New York 10004