Posted on July 10, 2012
Director of Operations
Girls Write Now
Girls Write Now - Director of Operations
The Director of Operations (DOO) will oversee daily internal operations to help the organization better execute established mission and goals. As GWN continues to build new programming and attract higher-level funders, the DOO is responsible for creating strategic opportunities to generate programmatic and organizational efficiencies that will deliver financial returns and increase organizational capacity and impact.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, working closely alongside fellow senior staff (Director of Programs and Director of Development & External Affairs), and serving as main contact for key consultancies and partnerships, the Director of Operations (DOO) will oversee:
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget
- Provide for staff day to day leadership presence, coordinating directly with other senior staff
- Working in partnership with the ED and BOD, update the strategic five year plan and implement processes to achieve it
- Develop an accounting system and tools that provide the organization with quick access to financial information and enables strategic budgeting
- As point person for GWN’s controller, independent auditor, and the Board of Director’s Finance Committee & Audit Task Force, increase engagement of Treasurer and Finance and Audit Chairs, and manage relevant meetings as well as annual audit process.
- Maintain and update employment handbook, hiring and performance review protocol, benefit packages, and HR trainings.
- Cultivate the values of GWN within the organization
- Coordination and integration, and some upkeep and maintenance, of databases and systems for accounting; fundraising; email marketing; social networking; phone/internet, printing, copying, and other office utilities; password security; office filing and naming conventions; and general office policies and procedures
- Analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology that supports the growth of specific programs and the organization overall
Office Space & Writing Center
- As staff point person for building management company and super, manage upkeep and maintenance of GWN’s office space
- Manage strategic space rental of Writing Center, including mission-focused fundraising events, and collaboration with key community allies for special events
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organizations
- Streamline metrics, implementation and data analysis across programs, taking advantage of available probono or cost-effective TA as needed
- Working closely with the DD and ED, help manage and leverage partnerships (especially corporate funders and in-kind technical service collaborations) for opportunities to sponsor and support workshops, readings, and special events and products
Analysis & Decision Making
- Ability to assess realities, and take action in a thoughtful, expedient manner; track record of making solid decisions and long-range forecasts even with imperfect or incomplete data; continually seeks information internally and externally to ensure most optimal solutions; imagines business possibilities, both long and short-term, and formulates plans to ensure their support and execution; challenges assumptions, demonstrates lateral thinking in decision making
Accountability & Initiative
- Sets vision and strategy for groups and leads organization to use strategies and actions to achieve and exceed goals; holds people accountable and evaluates progress against strategies; has a track record of success and in motivating groups to drive results
Teamwork & Leadership
- Consciously builds and channels the energy of employees; creates positive energy and enthusiasm, engaging people and teams by enabling them to see that their contributions make a difference; encourages a diversity of viewpoints and styles; consistently demonstrates and requires commitment to organizational objectives over individual goals
- Copes effectively with political realities and constraints; exhibits strong self-confidence, even when faced with highly tense or stressful situations; maintains a constructive, positive outlook, and adapts quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and rapid change; nimbly changes direction as needed to capitalize on shifting business dynamics; demonstrates flexibility and resilience in response to setback and adversity
- Effectively articulates ideas—verbally and in writing—in a clear and compelling manner; gains alignment and creates shared understanding at all levels; communicates organization’s values and gives people a clear and consistent vision of what is to be accomplished; engages key stakeholders to ensure appropriate level of information sharing
- Thoroughly committed to GWN’s mission of mentoring the next generation of women writers, with knowledge and eagerness to learn in the realms of literature, media, education, women’s issues, and community organizing
Submit cover letter, resume, two writing samples, and three references (at least two professional) to Executive Director, Maya Nussbaum, email@example.com. Make sure to write "Director of Operations" in subject line. Applications without the requested information will not be reviewed. References will not be contacted until an agreed upon time.
GWN relies upon the accuracy of information contained in the employment application, as well as the accuracy of other data presented throughout the hiring process and employment. Any misrepresentations, falsifications or material omissions in any of this information or data may result in exclusion from further consideration for employment, or termination from employment, if hired. Only applicants asked to interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.