Posted on July 11, 2012
City Year Los Angeles
City Year - Operations Manager
City Year was founded in 1988 on the belief that young people can change the world. The organization unites young people of all backgrounds for a year of full-time service, giving them the skills and opportunities to change the world. As tutors, mentors, and role models, these diverse young leaders make a difference in the lives of children, and transform schools and neighborhoods in 19 U.S. locations. City Year’s vision is that one day the most commonly asked question of a young person will be, “Where are you going to do your service year?”
City Year Los Angeles (CYLA) was founded in 2007 with an inaugural corps of 75 and has reached 275 by its sixth year.
City Year Service
City Year is focused on significantly reducing the high school dropout rate in each of our target cities. Through City Year’s Whole School Whole Child service model, City Year deploys diverse teams of full-time corps members in schools to help students stay on track – and get back on track – to graduate. Corps members serve in schools as tutors, mentors, role models and leaders of after-school programs. As near-peers, corps members are uniquely able to help improve student attendance, behavior and coursework – which research confirms are indicators of a student's likelihood of graduating from high school. This school-based service is at the heart of City Year’s approach to helping students and schools succeed.
The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring that City Year Los Angeles Headquarters functions smoothly and efficiently in general operations. The Operations Manager is responsible for day-to-day office operations activities including, Information Technology issues, building management and vendor relations, office equipment and asset management, budget and expense tracking, accounts payable and receivable processing. The Operations Manager also serves as support representative on human resources and staffing, on-boarding and staff learning and development initiatives.
- Manage relationships with building management staff and with all vendors, assuring best values.
- Maintain office inventory of supplies and materials.
- Ensure functionality, servicing and access to all office equipment and assets (physical space, technology and vehicles).
- Work with the National Information Technology staff to troubleshoot technology issues.
- Coordinate front desk coverage during business hours, including fielding general calls and voicemails to office.
- Serve as site ambassador for all visitors to City Year Los Angeles Headquarters.
- Maintain monthly tracking of expenses by department and submit monthly expense report by department.
- Provide quarterly site composite and expense reports to Executive Office.
- Process all accounts payable and receivable on a weekly basis.
- Submit monthly financial documentation to Headquarters.
- Work with City Year Los Angeles Executive Office to identify and recommend cost saving measures.
- Coordinate staff meeting, learning and retreat calendar, content and logistics.
- Ensure benefits and development resources and opportunities are available to staff as needed.
- Advertise and communicate open positions to relevant audiences via postings, events and networks.
- Work with City Year Los Angeles Executive Office to manage staff member recruitment, interview and selection process.
- Coordinate all travel needs for staff and corps members.
- Serve as a resource to staff and corps members regarding operations questions and needs and actively communicate with staff and corps members regarding site operations procedures.
- Provide support with corps member registration, training and administration as needed.
- Partner with City Year Los Angeles departments and staff through applicant interview process, stakeholder engagement, event and service day participation and cross-departmental committees as needed to ensure site-wide goals are met.
- Associates or Bachelors degree preferred.
- Bookkeeping and/or accounting experience a plus.
- Human Resources and/or admissions experience a plus.
- Office management, administrative and/or clerical experiences a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with a team and independently.
- Proven organizational and prioritizing abilities with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and respond to short deadlines.
- Excellent customer service, written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong computer skills: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Competitive salary and benefits.
Great benefits include healthcare, insurance, vacation, holidays, 401K, FSA, and more.
Qualified applicants should forward cover letter, resume and references to:
Subject: CYLA Deputy Director, Major Gifts
*Please include where you found this City Year posting