Posted on January 19, 2011
Barakat - Executive Director
Barakat, Inc. seeks a highly motivated individual with a proven track record in leadership, management and fundraising for the position of Executive Director. This individual will play a central role in leading a grass-roots nonprofit organization in its continued growth and development in operating schools and educational programs in South and Central Asia. Founded in 2000, Barakat exists to strengthen the fundamental human rights to education in South and Central Asia by providing exemplary basic education, increasing access to higher education and advancing literacy, particularly for women and children.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Develop an annual budget, expense statements, and 3-5 year financial projections for approval by the Board
- Set organizational priorities and goals by working with the other staff and board members
- Manage the organization’s funds under the direction of the Board
- Recruit, hire, manage, and evaluate upper-level staff
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Set up operational systems and procedures to increase the overall efficiency of the staff and their workflow
- Work with staff and Board of Directors to develop and oversee implementation of fundraising and long-term growth strategy
- Support the fundraising committee in establishing strategies to approach and maintain relationships with new donors
- Represent the organization’s mission and programs to agencies, organizations and the general public
- Ensure that the programs provided meet the standards of the mission and vision of the organization
- Work with the Program Director to develop and implement strategy for growth and improvement of programs
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field
- Coordinate, plan, facilitate, and follow up on board meetings
- Work and communicate regularly with individual board members to keep them engaged and find ways to use their skills, knowledge, and connections to meet Barakat’s mission
- Provide board members with information and support they need to assist in fundraising efforts
Required Skills and Experience
- High degree of familiarity with South and Central Asia
- Demonstrated commitment to Barakat’s mission
- Ability to write very well in multiple styles
- Experience managing organizational budgets and making financial projections
- Demonstrated ability to successfully cultivate individual donors
- Strong public speaking skills
- Experience managing individuals and teams
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Strong belief in the importance of tracking measurable results of organizational efforts
- Experience working with diverse populations
Additional Desired Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of Hindi, Urdu or Dari
- Experience with receiving contracts or sub-contracts from USAID funding recipients
- Experience in managing operations and IT
Required: 4-year degree. Graduate degree preferred.
Professional Level: Executive
Benefits: Health insurance, employee contribution to retirement plan
Employment Type: Full-time
Application Deadline: February 15, 2011
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.