Posted on February 7, 2013
Director of Gift Planning
Sarah Lawrence College
Sarah Lawrence College - Director of Gift Planning
Reporting to the Senior Director of Major Gifts and Gift Planning, the Director of Gift Planning will be responsible for all aspects of gift planning including prospect visits, marketing, assisting Major Gift personnel with planned giving questions and interfacing with outside counsel on tax and legal matters, both for outright gifts for the college and with the Finance Office on revenue and budgeting issues.
- Visit prospects and donors and their legal and/or financial advisors to discuss outright and planned giving opportunities.
- Work closely with development staff to provide technical support and policy consultation, including accurate documentation of outright gifts.
- Participate in all aspects of gift planning as well as tax and technical matters regarding outright gifts.
- Develop and implement strategies for engaging, cultivating, and soliciting prospects for bequests and life income agreements. Assume portfolio of planned giving prospects.
- Working with the college’s Donor Relations team, optimize stewardship for planned giving prospects and donors.
- Further develop and maintain up-to-date expertise in tax and other laws affecting charitable giving.
- Supervise one administrative assistant.
- At least five years’ experience in development, preferably in planned giving, or in a related field such as law or financial planning. Demonstrated successful experience in prospect identification, relationship building, and soliciting gifts, both outright and deferred. Familiarity with gift vehicles associated with planned/deferred giving. Familiarity with fund-raising in a higher education environment and experience in representing the institution to constituents.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree (MBA, JD) is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to professionally represent office to donors, volunteers and staff through excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must be willing and able to travel and have a clean valid driver’s license and access to a car to travel to campus and donor visits.
Sarah Lawrence has as one of its goals the recruitment and retention of a racially and culturally diverse administration, staff and faculty. To that end, every job opening is seen as an opportunity to increase diversity and every effort will be made to expand the applicant pool in accordance with these goals
To apply ONLINE ONLY, please visit http://slc.simplehire.com