Posted on February 22, 2013
Northern California Associate Finance Director
J Street - Northern California Associate Finance Director
Reports to: Northern California Finance Director
Location: San Francisco, CA
J Street seeks an experienced development professional with a background in politics to serve as Northern
California Associate Finance Director. S/He will be part of an integrated regional team (field, political, finance)
whose objective, working under the direction of the Pacific Northwest Regional Director, is to meet and exceed
the region’s annual operating and PAC goals. The Associate Finance Director should be an adept fundraiser,
a skilled communicator, highly organized, a self-starter and comfortable working in a team environment.
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the
democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and
democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside
Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $7 million organization with a
national staff of 50. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 10 cities including
Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Tel Aviv. J Street has an expansive network of
supporters engaged in pro-Israel, pro-peace activism in their communities, promoting active U.S. leadership to
achieve a two-state solution.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Lobbying and advocating Middle East policy changes in
Congress, the media, and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share
J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and
the two-state solution.
The J Street family of organizations is comprised of:
J Street, a 501(c)(4) organization and registered lobby that seeks to complement the work of
existing organizations and individuals that share J Street’s agenda through lobbying and advocacy efforts.
JStreetPAC, the largest pro-Israel political action committee in the U.S. and the first PAC formed to
endorse and raise money for federal candidates who champion pro-Israel, pro-peace policies, including a two-
state solution. In 2012, JStreetPAC distributed a record high of $1.8 million to 71 endorsed candidates, which led to
70 electoral victories.
The J Street Education Fund (JSEF), a legally independent 501(c)(3) organization that works to open
up the conversation on Israel in the American Jewish community, educate Americans and elected officials about
the urgent need for a two-state solution, and organize Americans in support of active U.S. leadership to achieve
this objective. JSEF’s operations include its national field, J Street U, rabbinic and educational
The Northern California Associate Finance Director is responsible for helping to execute a plan to renew
operating support and close on new sources of funding within the region. S/He is part of both a regional team
focused on cultivating leadership and political strength, and a national development team charged with raising the
requisite operating and PAC targets on an annualized basis.
The Northern California Associate Finance Director’s responsibilities include:
- Meeting and communicating regularly with J Street supporters
- Facilitating opportunities for leaders and donors to take an active role in J Street’s work
- Working closely with the Northern California Regional Finance Director on solicitations or solicitation strategies
- Renewing annual operating gifts from $1000 and up within the Northern California Region
- Increasing current donors’ financial support to J Street
- Researching and identifying new financial prospects of $1000 and greater
- Researching and managing the application process with foundations located within the region
- Mapping out supporter’s social networks to better understand J Street’s base of support and identify areas of growth
- Organizing meetings and educational opportunities for J Street leadership
- Managing high impact events donor and prospect events
- Keeping J Street’s database accurate and current
- Working cross functionally within the region to involve donors in building the organization’s political strength
Desired Skills and Characteristics
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- 3-5 years working in progressively responsible development positions for a non-profit, advocacy or political organization;
- Ability to clearly communicate J Street’s positions on policy matters;
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission, including:
- Support for a secure, Jewish and democratic future for Israel, and
- Advocating an active U.S. leadership role to help achieve a two-state solution;
- Familiarity with the Northern California Congressional delegation;
- Outgoing and positive attitude;
- Great communications skills – written and verbal;
- High comfort level working with leading business and civic leaders;
- Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple tasks and work independently;
- Personally engaging and eager to work with leaders and staff, able to build and cultivate
- relationships with a broad range of activists, leaders, and community contacts;
- Comfort with technology, online communications, and data management;
- Event management experience;
- Willingness to travel regionally and possess a valid driver’s license;
- Familiarity with the greater San Francisco Bay Area – experience working in or with leaders in Silicon Valley a great plus.
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this position will be commensurate with skills and experience. Weekly and monthly hours and
duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Benefits include paid vacation and sick
leave, paid time off on federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, 401k
and flexible spending account.
This position is available immediately. Interested candidates should submit by e-mail: 1) cover
letter that explains why you are interested and qualified; 2) resume; and 3) list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “Northern California Associate
Finance Director” in the subject line.