Posted on December 14, 2012
Associate Web Editor
Sojourners - Associate Web Editor
Sojourners is looking for an energetic, talented, politically/socially aware, culturally astute and groovily dispositioned self-starter to join our Web team as we continue to expand our website and social media reach. Our Sojo.net website, with its flagship God's Politics blog, is growing by leaps and bounds. We'd like to invite a consummate collaborator — someone who will jump in boldly and with great enthusiasm — to join our already stellar team in the ongoing creation of an innovative, dynamic (and civil) conversation at the busy intersection of faith, politics and culture. (It's a three-way stop.)
We’re looking for someone with journalism experience and a multimedia bent.
- Work directly and collaboratively with the Web Editor/Director of Online Media to create and present dynamic, timely content for Sojo.net (God’s Politics Blog, QuickRead, etc.).
- Copyedit, content edit, report and write content for the blogs and Sojo.net.
- Assist Web Editor/Director of Online Media in research for web content and digital/social media projects.
- Manage the day-to-day social media message integration across multiple channels and platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Tumblr.
- Identify meaningful content within the organization and community to highlight Sojourners digital channels and traditional (print) platforms.
- Coordinate daily e-newsletters, including our flagship SojoMail along with Daily Digest and Verse & Voice.
- Develop multimedia content to support message content for use on the organization’s social media pages, in collaboration with the Web Editor/Director of Online Media.
- Collaborate with the larger Marketing, Communications, and Development teams on integrated and enterprising social media efforts.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- 1-2 years experience in traditional and/or digital daily journalism and blogging.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong editorial judgment and familiarity with AP Style.
- Basic HTML skills and working knowledge of CSS and PHP.
- Experience in Web producing in a content management system (Drupal preferred).
- Familiarity with basic SEO techniques and trending topic/keyword research.
- Experience in video editing, photo editing/acquisition/choice, and digital presentation of visual media preferred.
Understanding and commitment to Sojourners’ faith-based mission.
Great sense of humor a bonus.
Please send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org or Associate Web Editor Search, Sojourners, 3333 14th St. NW, Suite 200, Washington, DC 20010. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Sojourners is an equal opportunity employer that continually seeks to diversify its staff. Women and persons of color are highly encouraged to apply. Excellent benefits package includes fully paid health insurance, 20 days paid vacation, 401(k) plan, and a positive, faith-based work environment.