Posted on November 28, 2012
Associate Booking Sales, Marketing Events
Chinese Theatre Works
Chinese Theatre Works - Associate Booking Sales, Marketing Events
CTW is a non-profit theatre company whose mission is to preserve and promote traditional Chinese performing arts (including opera, shadow theatre, puppetry, dance and music); to create new works that bridge Eastern and Western aesthetics and forms; and to foster understanding and appreciation of Chinese culture in audience, students, artist and educators around the globe. Additional details at www.chinesetheatreworks.org.
Part-time, junior-level position to assist the Managing Director. Advancement opportunity.
Chinese Theatre Works is a rapidly expanding organization that is seeking an extraordinary individual to increase its visibility. The Associate Booking, Sales Marketing and Events (‘ABSME’) is a strategic, proactive, and aggressive team player who serves as the primary relationship for booking sales, promotion and publicity needs of the organization Reporting to the Managing Director, the ABSME leads a fast-paced, creative, and highly collaborative team of interns that successfully promotes CTW’s programs and services to print and online media outlets; creates flawless marketing collateral; administers touring campaigns for CTW, and manages the design and content of CTW’ websitewww.chinesetheatreworks.org. With an eye towards brand consistency and clarity, s/he helps with the development of core messages for CTW and their delivery externally and internally.
S/he must possess exceptional communication and writing skills, demonstrate cultural competence, and have the desire to be a part of a fast paced, entrepreneurial team. CTW seeks to tell the stories from an inclusive range of Chinese American Immigrants – candidates with knowledge of the histories and cultures of these communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Overall: Increase the bookings and tours of Chinese Theatre Works, generate press, reinforce its institutional and brand identity, vary and increase promotion of its content and products, increase overall visibility, and connect with diverse communities.
- Maintain relationships with past presenters, outreach to and broaden the variety of potential presenters, especially those ones in various educational settings. Someone who can think outside of box is highly preferred.
- Develop performance and touring budgets, and negotiate contracts with potential presenters.
- Generate contracts and send invoices.
- Manage travel logistics and housing and coordinate with CTW staff and performers.
- Maintain booking databases and collect data needed for grant writing and marketing purposes.
- Work closely with managing directors to develop and research CTW arts-in-education programs.
Marketing and communication
- Update and maintain CTW website and social media. Must be familiar with Wordpress, basic HTML languages, and Constant Contact. Basic graphic design skill (knowledge of Photoshop) is preferred.
- Work with managing director to develop and implement marketing strategies.
- Maintain and grow media contacts. Write press releases.
- Collect and maintain CTW publicity archive. Create press kit when needed.
Office Management/General Administration
- Maintain office calendar to track CTW performances, rehearsals, meetings and staff movement
- Coordinate staff meeting and take minutes.
- Monitor and order office supply.
- Provide assistance to the executive director as needed.
- Recruit, train and orient new performers as needed.
- Assist with training teaching artists.
- Provide assistance as needed to the managing director with the development of board, individual and corporation donors.
- Plan and manage fundraising events.
- Assist with identifying new donors.
- Recruit interns all year round.
- Work with managing director to improve internship program.
- Coordinate with staff to understand their needs and create job descriptions.
Interface with College and University personnel as well as International Arts Festival coordinators. Chinese Theatre Works tours throughout North America and Asia. We are seeking to expand to European markets.
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in sales, media relations, communications, or a related field, at an organization of international scope
- Demonstrated experience in developing outreach strategies for diverse communities, managing those strategies, and producing and evaluating results
- Experience working directly with members of the press to secure placements that promote an organization or product
- Experience providing intern supervision and evaluation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with impeccable attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Demonstrated analytical skills and problem-solving ability; ability to be flexible and adaptable to a growing, changing organization
- Understanding of online and offline initiatives including social media, branding, local and national advertising, cause marketing, promotions, and other marketing strategies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel
- Work experience in a non-profit environment or with Chinese American communities
- Experience booking media events and developing social media strategies.
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
- Basic HTML (web maintenance level)
- Basic skills or fluency in a language other than English; Mandarin (Chinese) language fluency is strongly preferred.
Base plus goal incentives. Position is not necessarily micro managed, and you will have freedom to get your work done, but you must be able to reach quotas on your own accord. We will provide leads, but it is expected that you will garner referrals. Sales experience and managerial skills REQUIRED, as you must be capable of maintaining a weekly quota and working well under pressure. The successful candidate will be expected to achieve a minimum gross annual booking sales of $60,000. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to increase hours.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Gary Betsworth, Managing Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ABSME[Your Name] in the subject line. Your cover letter should detail your knowledge of this industry and evidence your people skills, prior work related experience, sales skills, etc. Some potential talking points are listed below.
- sales experience (particularly with executives, corporations, universities, and international arts organizations)
- love talking to people; be resourceful and fearless
- be well-networked
- have excellent writing and communication skills (a writing sample will be requested)
- experience selling educational programming
- have an understanding/knowledge of the event planning/booking business
- understand social media and know how to use it
- Love selling FUN
Only people with great, caring, fun personalities need apply. Customer Service is key to our continued success which consists of a large amount of referrals.
For more information about CTW, please visit www.chinesetheatreworks.org.
Chinese Theatre Works seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves. All positions at CTW are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Email cover and resume to email@example.com