Posted on August 17, 2012
Vice President, Finance and Operations
F.B. Heron Foundation
Vice President, Finance and Operations, F.B. Heron Foundation
Established in 1992, the F.B. Heron Foundation promotes opportunity and economic resilience for families and communities across the United States. The Foundation invests capital to enhance the effectiveness and reach of a range of enterprises whose work is aligned with its mission. The Foundation intentionally seeks opportunities to co-invest, to use existing social investment infrastructure to deploy its capital, and to attract capital on behalf of others sharing its goals. Currently embarking on a period of significant change, we are re-examining and reorganizing our strategy and business goals as well as the systems and processes that support their achievement. We are questioning, and in many cases discarding, the standard operating assumptions of an endowed foundation while at the same time, operating within that legal framework. Given the urgency and depth of the challenge we face, the Foundation seeks to deploy 100 percent of its capital – social and intellectual as well as financial – in pursuit of mission moving forward.
To find out more about the Foundation, visit www.fbheron.org.
The F. B. Heron Foundation is currently seeking a seasoned, dynamic and entrepreneurial professional to join their team as the Vice President, Finance and Operations and provide leadership over strategic long-term budgeting and organizational planning, while managing the day-to-day financial and operational systems necessary to support planned change and growth. A key member of senior staff, reporting directly to the CEO, the Vice President, Finance and Operations will be responsible for all financial aspects of the organization, including managing the coordination and oversight of organizational audits, the preparation of federal and state tax filings, annual budgeting and planning processes, and cash flow management and reporting. The Vice President, Finance and Operations will also oversee operations, human resources and information technology for the organization ensuring that all systems and processes support the ambitious goals outlined for the future. This position is an exciting opportunity to join an organization at a time of re-invention and to design, build and lead the financial and operational systems to take the organization in an exciting new direction.
- Provide leadership in the finance, information technology, human resources and operations areas in planning, strategy and execution;
- Oversee all financial functions for the organization including accounting, budgeting, reporting, and cash management;
- Manage all human resource functions including staff recruitment, benefits and payroll administration, as well as development and implementation of personnel policies;
- Oversees all IT functions with assistance from the Data & Systems Administrator and an external consultant (on an as needed basis);
- Develop and enhance systems and tools to facilitate the effective management of both human and financial resources across the organization;
- Ensure accurate and timely information sharing with internal stakeholders and compliance with the standards and reporting requirements of external stakeholders, including auditors, donors, foundations and other relevant entities;
- Engage with other staff to re-design and then implement the pipeline management, approval, and disbursement process for contracts, grants, and investments;
- Contribute significantly to overall organizational strategy and development and work closely with President and the VP, Capital Deployment to design and operationalize a new approach to the work of the Foundation;
- Serve as Secretary and Treasurer of Foundation Board of Directors.
10+ years of financial/operational management experience, with a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated leadership in a similar role;
Demonstrated success creating and implementing systems in a high-functioning, dynamic organization; experience with nonprofit organizations a plus;
Advanced accounting and finance skills essential; experience implementing and utilizing sophisticated financial software systems preferred; knowledge of nonprofit finance and accounting preferred;
Familiarity with the areas of information technology, human resources and operations through experience overseeing or working closely with those functions;
An excellent relationship-builder, with the ability to effectively implement new approaches by striking the right balance between getting buy-in and support, and pushing for result;
Strong creative, analytical and problem-solving skills;
Entrepreneurialism, flexibility, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative and quickly changing environment;
Strong commitment to F. B. Heron’s mission and a belief in the necessity of systemic change to achieve the desired results.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Clara Miller at http://jobs.cgcareers.org/application.aspx?id=1922. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Compensation is competitive based on background and experience and includes excellent benefits. The F. B. Heron Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers:
The F. B. Heron Foundation has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Vice President, Finance and Operations. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of the nation’s most innovative and high-performing nonprofit organizations. Since its founding in 2006, Commongood Careers has completed over 500 searches at 150 organizations in 26 states. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers. Learn more about nonprofit jobs at Commongood Careers.