Posted on September 22, 2012
Senior Health Advisor
Episcopal Relief and Development
Episcopal Relief and Development - Senior Health Advisor
The position description is a guide to the critical duties and essential functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and work environment conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and revised to meet the changing needs of Episcopal Relief & Development at the sole discretion of management.
TITLE: Senior Health Advisor
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President, Programs
Together with all staff, and partners, ensure quality control and cutting edge development for health initiatives, leading to enhanced profile for Episcopal Relief & Development programs in strategic health forums, publications and policy focused gatherings. Strengthen existing program and funding partnerships including but not limited to those partnerships indicated for NetsforLife®: A Partnership for Malaria Prevention, identify new opportunities for program investments towards health outcomes, utilizing the strength and capacity of our networks.
- Provide technical assistance for all Episcopal Relief & Development health focused programs, integrating learnings from current public health protocols and best practices, paying particular attention to areas focusing on community based health education and disease prevention outcomes, M&E, and support for health care systems strengthening.
- Define and develop integrated health strategy framework for Episcopal Relief & Development, building on prior program experiences including NetsforLife®.
- Provide technical guidance to local partners on effective community based primary health and disease control interventions
- Provide leadership and guidance to M&E focused staff, Program Officers and partners as they develop and maintain a rational and participatory monitoring and evaluation framework for health related program activities.
- Support colleagues to identify and prepare best practice or “interesting” practice technical briefs, case studies, and papers using Episcopal Relief & Development’s evidence from health outcomes focused programs
- Represent and support operational partners of Episcopal Relief & Development in articulating evidence based outcomes from program to host governments and advocating for appropriate policies.
- Coordinate with fundraising staff to generate appropriate funding to support health outcome focused programs, including but not limited to, analyzing feasibility of applicable program designs, providing strategic input to improve designs, supporting proposal writing teams, reviewing drafts, ensuring accuracy of information, and contributing to donor reports.
- Seek participation in global health networks and consortia appropriate to achieving Episcopal Relief & Development’s strategic objectives, and represent the organization in relevant conferences and assemblies.
- Keep abreast of emerging health strategies, and trends, contributing to program and partner staff development in this area.
- Regularly analyze appropriate program reports and provide technical advice to Program Officers on relevant responses.
- Perform other duties and special projects as required.
Education: MPH, or MD with a focus on public health, epidemiology, and evidence-based health policy formation
Minimum of ten 10 years experience in developing countries, preferably in Africa, designing and implementing integrated health development programs.
Demonstrated skills in building M&E systems, publishing materials documenting program outcomes, and supporting capacity building and training for program participants.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Excellent interpersonal skills, empowering, facilitating, training, leading and motivating
- Excellent skills in critical thinking
- Proven capacity to build consensus and resolve conflicts both internally and externally
- Ability to work well under pressure and relate to multi ethnic and economic backgrounds
- Full capacity to work with Microsoft Office
- Full written and oral fluency in English. French, Swahili and/or Portuguese is a plus.
Other Requirements (including Physical Demands):
- Capacity to articulate the core values of faith based work to external audiences
- Capacity to travel internationally 30-40% of time, sometimes in remote areas
- Capacity to work with a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com and Senior Health Advisor in the subject line.
Only qualified applicants will be contacted.