Posted on August 16, 2012
Altman Foundation - Controller/Assistant Controller
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Status: Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
Position Summary: The Controller is responsible for general accounting and finance activities related to the daily operations of the Altman Foundation. In addition, the Controller has day-to-day responsibility for information technology (IT).
The Altman Foundation is searching for a motivated financial professional who wants to combine his or her passion for accounting and finance with a desire to make a real difference in the New York philanthropic community by joining a team of highly motivated and dedicated professionals. The Foundation is dedicated to enriching the quality of life in our City through engaged grant-making focused on measurable results. Since 1913 the Foundation has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the five boroughs and has an enviable reputation for high quality and high impact grant-making.
The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for administering the Foundation's financial operations and information technology on a day-to-day basis, as well as performing other duties as required. The candidate needs to possess a strong attention to detail, the drive to complete tasks in a timely manner, a desire to solve problems and improve systems, and an interest in learning and growing with the organization. Detailed knowledge of both general and fund accounting, the ability to learn and use a wide range of software programs, database knowledge, and the ability to work well with fellow staff members in a small, collegial environment are essential to being successful in the position.
The ideal candidate will have significant financial experience, preferably in the foundation world. An accounting degree, CPA, or MBA is a plus.
Cash flows and disbursements
- Prepares general ledger, including reconciliation of accounts and grants payable.
- Reviews accounts payable, coding of operating invoices, grants, and program expenses.
- Monitors bank balances and prepares monthly bank reconciliations for approval by CFO.
- Prepares and posts journal entries for payroll taxes (semi-monthly), Paychex fees, bank fees, credit card charges, petty cash, etc.
- Prepares cash flow forecasts and tracks forecasts to actual.
Budgets, financials, and reports
- Assists with the development and implementation of annual budgets and spending plans.
- Works with CFO to develop and prepare financial statements, including Statements of Financial Position, Statements of Activities, analysis of variances from budget, investment analyses, and other reports as requested by management and the Board of Trustees.
- Attends meetings of, and produces minutes for, Finance and Audit Committees.
- Prepares various annual tax returns, financial surveys, and reports for internal/external use.
Audit and tax
- Prepares audit schedules for the Foundation's year-end financial audit.
- Prepares audit and tax return work papers as requested by CFO and external auditors and tax preparers. Provides staff support to auditors during the annual audit.
- Estimates UBIT exposure and tax consequences.
- Helps prepare Form 990PF.
- Maintains and monitors fixed assets, including the depreciation schedule and prepaids. Prepares and posts annual journal entries.
- Reconciles all investment statements and accounts on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- Works with investment consultant and custodian.
- Works with CFO and consultants to prepare analyses for Finance Committee andTrustees.
- Prepares management fee calculations and the related journal entries.
- Ensures proper controls and security measures are in place and operating.
- Oversees contracts relating to all computer equipment, including printers.
- Maintains inventory of computer equipment.
- Maintains all employee records, including sick, personal, and vacation accrual records.
- Reviews and records payroll expense.
- Administers retirement plan payments, orients new employees regarding benefits and policies, and assists CFO in educating current employees on investment options.
- Produces annual 1099's for independent contractors.
Records and files
- Maintains all financial records for Foundation including accounts and grants payable.
- Creates and maintains files related to job functions.
- Works with GRM on document retention and electronic archiving.
Analysis, planning, and projects
- Develops plans and objectives with CFO for short- and long-range goals in specific areas such as budgeting, financial analysis, accounting systems, reporting, and internal auditing.
- Assists in establishing, monitoring, and updating internal controls on an on-going basis.
- Updates Policies and Procedures Manual as needed.
- Develops document retention policy.
- Works with IT consultant on long-term technology strategy.
- Reviews grants management software.
- Needs to anticipate problems and propose solutions, and plan and prioritize work.
- Works as a member of interdepartmental teams - as appropriate
- to ensure the effective and efficient operations of the Foundation.
- Performs other duties as assigned, dependent on organizational needs and employee skills.
- Stays current and knowledgeable on accounting standards and guidelines or regulations that relate to responsibilities.
- Experience: 5-7 years related accounting experience, preferably in a foundation environment.
- Education: Bachelor's degree required. Accounting degree, C.P.A., or M.B.A is preferred.
- Communication skills: Superior interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Organizational skills: Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Able to prioritize work effectively and adjust to multiple demands.
- Technology skills: Proficiency in computerized accounting systems, mastery of MS Office applications, Peachtree general ledger, various cloud-based applications. Be conversant with apps for IPad and IPhone.
- General: Must be highly motivated, dependable, able to exercise discretion, work independently and take initiative, work well under occasional pressure, meet multiple and competing deadlines, participate as an effective team member, and follow tasks through to completion.
Salary and Benefits: A competitive compensation and benefits package is available for the successful candidate.
Applicants are required to undergo a background check before being hired. The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org